VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola

Found this place whilst looking for advice on a T5 that is shaking like a ting dog.

Based in Bournemouth.

Dom1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just started getting a shudder through the wheel the other day about 1" or so either way when you let go of it.

Thought I had a puncture but no.

Seems to smooth out when you get up to about 50-60mph but it is getting worse.

Sounds like it may be driveshaft or flywheel from what I have read here and elsewhere. But I really know nothing about cars/vans so it will be going to the garage I would just like to have a clue what to expect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick search and torque converter is added to the list of suspects, whatever that is.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does the sudder happen at all times or just certain times.

Could be your wheel balancing needs doing?? Can you drive through it??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My van is a 2008 T5 Transporter Shuttle 2.5litre 130 automatic.

Its done about 30k miles.

It does seem to improve once you are up to 50-60mph.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well if it improves it does sound like your balancing needs doing. Guess i would start there and see if that makes any difference first and also might be worth looking at the insides of your wheels for any build up of rubbish/mud as that will also affect your wheels balance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Car is now booked in for a full service and MOT on Friday 13th! So I will get it looked at then.

Other than just swapping the parts like for like is there anything that can be changed to stop it happening again like going to a single mass rather than dual mass flywheel? I woudl rather spend a bit more on the right parts now than have to pay the labour twice.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you need a new DMF and clutch, both LUK and Sachs make one. The Sachs one is much more expensive, that's not to say it's better (as the OEM one is LUK), but it may be. I don't know but to could be worth asking round.

As for going single mass, don't do it. Some don't work well and shake the van to bits (there's someone on here that went single, hated it then paid again to change back) and some do.

VW designed it for a DMF, why change. If you go single, unless you drive like a nun, you are going to put additional strain not he gearbox, exactly what VW were trying to avoid when they went for a DMF.

Sure there have ben successful DMF to SMF conversions, but ask yourself do you want to risk it and potentially wreck your box.

Hope it's not as your looking at £700 - £1000 for a replacement (all inclusive). Heard a couple of cheaper quoted though.

Fingers crossed for ya.

·
Purveyor of the 'Dubz'!
459 Posts
First job get wheels balanced and tyres checked, sounds like you may have a damaged wheel or dodgy tyre, best place is Christchurch tyres.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts