VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After researching in depth for six months we finally selected and purchased a 2019 Crafter camper van. We chose this as it seemed to offer the best driving experience which was important to us.

We purchased in Germany as the model we wanted was difficult to find in the UK (LHD Knaus Boxdrive First Edition) and have just brought it back into the country as a personal import - but now we've hit a brick wall.

Among the handful of things we need to do to be able to register it here was the need to get the rear fog light to operate on the off-side (UK drivers side) instead of where it works at the moment, on the near-side. Or, better again, on both sides at once.

The problem is our local VW commercial dealer has told us they do not know if simply purchasing a new light unit for the off-side would work - whether there would be a feed from the loom to operate it etc.

We have the LED light package.

They said the usual work-around in this case, just fitting an external rear fog light on that side, would not work either as the lighting control system if it senses a different voltage/ampeage (can't remember which) would shut down, unless the light we fit matches the existing fog light exactly.

Help!!

Does anyone know if the loom on the opposite side carries a spare feed so all we'd have to do is buy a UK spec light cluster?

Or barring that be able to advise how we can do a work-around to make our very expensive camper legal enough to pass the type approval test with regard to the operation of the rear fog lights?

Thanks for reading this far anyway to see if you could help, appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would buy the Uk light cluster for the offside, you may have to have a short harness made to enable this light cluster to work and probably have to disconnect the fog light from the nearside as the ECU will detect to much current being drawn if both are used. This is a relatively simple job for a good auto sparky but not the VAG garage.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Hi and welcome .

Nice looking van that T:
It would be a crying shame to fit an ugly bolt-on light to your new van .
This doesnt sound like too major an issue but having never personally tried it then this would be my first thoughts ...
As said above really , buy a uk light first. (Are they all led rear clusters or do they have bulbs?)
I doubt very much that the 'other' side rear light will already have the wire in place but its no big job to run one .
Then its just a case of making sure the monitoring system is happy .

Auto electrician job not main agent T:

If they are all led rear lights you might wanna price the job up first ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Redtwo and Bitterandtwisted, after sleeping on it I was thinking exactly that, I should just try and buy a UK LED tail light and take it to an independent. Your two opinions have confirmed that for me so that's what i'm going to do. I may just ask the garage I have lined up to do the type test approval to do the job.

The next thing will be to get an LED taillight as a complete assembly, I'll need the LED/bulb holders as well.

The van is lovely to drive, it's the 170bhp automatic and the box works fine, very little racing. The steering (on motorways anyway) is a bit strange at first because of the lane correction, I find I have to wrestle with it. I may turn that option off.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Redtwo and Bitterandtwisted, after sleeping on it I was thinking exactly that, I should just try and buy a UK LED tail light and take it to an independent. Your two opinions have confirmed that for me so that's what i'm going to do. I may just ask the garage I have lined up to do the type test approval to do the job.

The next thing will be to get an LED taillight as a complete assembly, I'll need the LED/bulb holders as well.

The van is lovely to drive, it's the 170bhp automatic and the box works fine, very little racing. The steering (on motorways anyway) is a bit strange at first because of the lane correction, I find I have to wrestle with it. I may turn that option off.

Thanks again for the help.
If you haven't done it already. Leave both in and have the new loom switchable left ro right. Then it works both sids of the pond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts