VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone I'm very happy to have joined this community.
Being brand new to T4s I have become an avid learner and want to find out as much as I can.
My wife and I recently purchased our first beautiful campervan, a T4 2.5 TDI (1994) Autosleeper.
We are excited about being able to take our 2 young children out for 'adventures'.
However, having just bought it we have encounter our first major problem. It's got stuck in first gear! no other gears are working not even reverse. the engine revs up fine through all the gears.
I tried searching for the ECU code, but being from 1994, it did not appear to have a OBD2 or even OBD1 I could find.
At first I thought it might be limp mode (turbo issues) but a mechanic who I spoke to suggested gear box (obviously).
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? First gear only?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I should point out that when the van is left overnight, then the next day it works fine (to start with)... only after 5 - 10 miles it starts 'playing up'. It starts by changing gears more slowly...taking more time to move up through the gears...until it finally loses all power, except for first gear.
Interestingly, the first time this happened we managed to whizz along in first gear easily at 40 mph and I'm pretty sure it would have manage 50 mph with trouble in first gear! Is that normal?
On way home, much more sluggish this time, it could only manage 20-25 in first gear.
Any T4 expert detectives who can identify this problem, I would be very grateful to you.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
Check what fluid is in it! (RED/burnt brown...it's wrong!.....should be "pee yellow")
TOO MANY garages use DEXIII in them, and it can't take the temperature!
After "only" a 5km run (uphill) my 'box is (was) over the temp specified for DEXIII.
BAD news is, if it's done many miles with that fluid, the 'box will be wrecked.

ONLY the VW spec fluid should be used......check the forum for a LONG thread about the auto-box. (Engine/Gearbox section.)
Also, will take at least full changes to flush the old out....when draining the torque converter retains it's fluid.

Yours will be the "old" unit without torque lockup....but the problems are still the same.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My wife and I recently purchased our first beautiful campervan, a T4 2.5 TDI (1994) Autosleeper.
:unsure:

I tried searching for the ECU code, but being from 1994, it did not appear to have a OBD2 or even OBD1 I could find.
At first I thought it might be limp mode (turbo issues)
unless converted, you've a 2.4d as vw didn't fit the 2.5tdi until late '96. so you wont have an ecu with any electronic diagnostics:cautious:

Rich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Or-GazM I really appreciate what you said.
It confirms my suspicions.
Today a friend of a friend who is a mechanic took a quick look at the ATF and saw it was burnt (and low) so first thing to try is adding new oil. I will make sure I dont use DEX111 like you said.
I will let you know what happens
many thanks
Zorro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rich.
You hit upon something there. This is a newly bought T4. The paper work all refers to it as 2.4 litre Diesel. It was advertised as 2.4.
But I was very suprised to see 2.5 Diesel TDI , ACV, stamped on the engine block.
It seems a bit odd...

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
Thank you Or-GazM I really appreciate what you said.
It confirms my suspicions.
Today a friend of a friend who is a mechanic took a quick look at the ATF and saw it was burnt (and low) so first thing to try is adding new oil. I will make sure I dont use DEX111 like you said.
I will let you know what happens
many thanks
Zorro
You can't just "top up"...
Correct fluid will NOT mix with DEXIII.
You need to drain, change filter, run to temp, drain again, run to temp and then use VCDS to make sure gearbox is at 40-50C before doing the "final top-up"....engine running, in park.

IF you have the original box, it will have a dip-stick....newer ones you have to remove the plastic plug at the front of the box to fill it.
Engine running, it should dribble out of the drain plug when at correct level and temp.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,530 Posts
Yeah, swapeed out at least THREE times before you get back to 90% "correct" fluid.
The guys that did mine use a special pump/vacuum unit that sucked out everything, flushed with "something inert", and then pumped the correct fluid in.
THEN ran the engine box up to temp, and checked the levels.
OK....Norwegian prices.....but didn't get any change from 200 quid! (Genuine fluid is about £80 quid per change in UK...so I did well that they flushed 1st !!!)I have a love/hate relationship with these boxes!
I have a re-conned spare, for if/when....but I'll scrap the van before going manual!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts