VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member, please be gentle. After a lifetime of camping in various guises, and hiring the odd camper and motorhome over the years, have finally settled on and bought a T4 Autosleeper Topaz. Needs some TLC but is solid and sound. It time it may get mildly tarted up and made to look a bit less caravan.

I have what is probably a daft question, but I’d like some advice on the rail fitted in the pic. Is it for an awning or just a gutter? Can I fix an awning or sun canopy to it with adaptors or does it need replacing with a different type of rail? All help much appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, new member, please be gentle. After a lifetime of camping in various guises, and hiring the odd camper and motorhome over the years, have finally settled on and bought a T4 Autosleeper Topaz. Needs some TLC but is solid and sound. It time it may get mildly tarted up and made to look a bit less caravan.

I have what is probably a daft question, but I’d like some advice on the rail fitted in the pic. Is it for an awning or just a gutter? Can I fix an awning or sun canopy to it with adaptors or does it need replacing with a different type of rail? All help much appreciated! Thanks. View attachment 191029

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a rail for the awning, its the same one that I have the awning is a Omnister 2000. the reason its like that is to allow the awning to pivot on the rail.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,303 Posts
STD rail fitted to caravans for an awning/tent to slide onto.
Looks a bit short, they normally run front to back.
I guess that is just for a side awning over the slider door.

Quote:
"I'd say it's just a rain gutter, that's what it's described as on sale sites anyway. "
In which case, where are the drain pipes? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
"I'd say it's just a rain gutter, that's what it's described as on sale sites anyway. "
Erm...the rain runs off of each end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the reply. It didn’t look like the ‘C’ type channel I’ve seen before so wondering how to attach to it? Clamps of some sort maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a rail for the awning, its the same one that I have the awning is a Omnister 2000. the reason its like that is to allow the awning to pivot on the rail.
Thanks, reply much appreciated. Will have a google at Omnister. Do you clamp your awning on, or have another method of attaching it? I’m used to caravan awnings being threaded through ‘c’ channel, but this is definitely different.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,303 Posts
Think of it as a "C channel" on it's side.
The awning has a round section that sits into the "gutter", and the bottom has a profile that holds it in place.
Had exactly the same profile on a 26 foot American motorhome, and also used it on 2 LandRover conversions I did (many years ago!)
The thing with the motorhome was that you "layed" the awning over the gutter section, and then from the inside pressed the clips underneath to hold it in place...no need to slide a 22 foot awning down the section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts