VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after searching for months I finally found my first T5 a few weeks ago.

T28 Kombi, 69k miles, 140bhp, aircon, one owner, fairly local and it came with a sensible price.

Van looks like it's been looked after, well maintained and clean, it's certainly not been a work horse.

Gave it a quick snow foam and proper clean to inspect the paint, plenty of swirls, few stone chips but nothing to worry about.

Spent the whole weekend doing a panel at a time to clay mitt, polish with 3m fastcut, coat of wax then some enigma ceramic quick detailer, its still not perfect but it's presentable. I struggle these days with the patience to detail properly and obviously winters more or less here so I'll try and get it better in spring.

Although it's got a full service history it sat for most of last year so gave it a service and changed the timing belt and WP for some peace of mind.

I had a plan of how I wanted it to look and as it came in under my budget I had some change for some nice things. First up was sportline bits for the front, then B14's with new T6 top mounts and this week my new wheels arrived.

Calipers were pretty tatty so cleaned them up, Fronts discs and pads were good but rears were almost done so replaced them at the same time.

Had quite a few sets of coilovers over the years but I've got to admit I was a bit disappointed with the design of the B14s, a lot of hassle to adjust them. Luckily they drive fantastic, probably the best I've had so all is forgiven.

Spent ages looking at wheels but kept getting drawn back to the same ones so bit the bullet and ordered them, then spent even longer trying to work out what tyres would work best for me. Ended up with BBS SX, 20x9, ET42 with 255/40's and very happy with my choice.

Like a kid a christmas I was out in the dark, head torch on to get them fitted. Its sitting well but I need to tweek the heights a bit to get it even and at a height the works for me then I'll get the alignment sorted out.

Overall I'm over the moon with it, looks just how I wanted it and drives superb, one very happy owner.

·
Registered
13,507 Posts
Welcome Ajax .

Looks cracking already mate , good work :clap

Where did you get the front spoiler and whats the quality like ?

Did it come with the wrong mirrors on ?

Gotta love a black van ....just gotta keep it clean now ....but defo worth it .
Reflection shots look pretty damn good to me (i really should do mine) .

Liking your choice of wheels too T:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Ajax .

Looks cracking already mate , good work :clap

Where did you get the front spoiler and whats the quality like ?

Did it come with the wrong mirrors on ?

Gotta love a black van ....just gotta keep it clean now ....but defo worth it .
Reflection shots look pretty damn good to me (i really should do mine) .

Liking your choice of wheels too T:
Thanks mate,

I got them from Travelin-lite and the fit was excellent and easy to fit, The instructions are excellent. The fog light wiring kit look to be good quality although the light units their selves don't look like they'll last long but they were cheap so no complaints at all.

It's funny as I'd had for over a week before noticing it had an earlier mirror fitted on the drivers side, all sorted now.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Welcome aboard, off to a flying start, looks so much better now. T:

I'm getting tempted by coilovers after seeing how well the vans sit, just not a cheap upgrade.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats the enigma like ?

I had P&S bead maker last time and was quite impressed T:

I like it, quick and fairly easy to use and lasts well. 3-4 weeks and still beads well. You've got to be carefull with it tho, I got some over spray from it on my windscreen and it took a bit of effort to get rid of it.
This was my frozen A6 last week, 3 weeks since it last had a quick coat of the Enigma.

I've been tempted to try the wax but just can't bring myself to pay that much for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome aboard, off to a flying start, looks so much better now. T:

I'm getting tempted by coilovers after seeing how well the vans sit, just not a cheap upgrade.
CheersT:

Coilovers are expensive but they do ride great and improve it significantly.
Are the B14s any better than the cheaper ones, I can't really say as I haven't tried any others on my van and I struggled to find anyone else that had done a comparison. I searched all over and best I could find was £1k but then I used a Ebay code thing and got £50 quid off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having driven various vans(mostly landrovers) for 25yrs at work I'm surprised at how much I love this thing.

Being doing bits and bobs at nights and over the hols.

Black Friday special on side bars and carbon mirror covers,

Still not really got a plan for what I'm doing interior wise so been trying to do things that won't hinder me later on. Hated the grey headliner so bought a fake alcantara cover from ebay and plastidipped some of the plastics, if you use it quite heavily it's actually quite hard wearing and holds up well. Still had my MK4 Anni black light unit so popped that in as well.

Since stripping out the back it has been quite noisy so started sound deadening and insulating.

2mm silentcoat to all single skin metal work,

Dodo van liner insulation and some wool in some of the cavities

As I don't really have a plan for the back yet I didn't want to close in the rear panels so decided to carpet the shell and have separate carpeted panels with hidden clips so that I can remove them if I need to run wires etc. Had my first bash at it today and well pleased with the results, the 4 way stretch carpet makes it so much easier.

Unfortunately the ply panels I bought are ****, edges are wavey and holes don't line up. I could have made them better myself so will probably have a stab at that first, cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Is that one of the headliners from JF Customs? If so, what's the quality like? It looks spot on in your pics.
I retrimmed mine a while ago in grey alcantara to match the rear roof panels but it was a major PITA and I could do with redoing it with a properly made cover.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that one of the headliners from JF Customs? If so, what's the quality like? It looks spot on in your pics.
I retrimmed mine a while ago in grey alcantara to match the rear roof panels but it was a major PITA and I could do with redoing it with a properly made cover.
It is, It's well made, fits fine and looks nice. You have to be quite careful when gluing it as it's foam backed so you only get one shot at it. I just laid it out dry then folded it back and started gluing from the cubby hole in the middle and chased it out to the edges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3days and the carpeting's done for the moment,still hunting for a tailgate so no point doing the rear doors.

Ordered a diesel night heater and split charge kit so that'll be the next mission.

And finally got some working lights in the back

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Keep um peeled for a black friday deal ....could get some arbs while youre at it . :D
Stop it! I had decided that I wasn't going for an intercooler or arbs, but now they've made the list! ?

More fantastic work ajax, the carpeting looks very professional. I've been carpeting out the last bits of bodywork on my doors (same as what looks like you have left), has been a right pain! Well worth the hard work though. Didn't know you could get head liners, off to spend some more money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I actually really enjoy the carpeting, Its not that hard but very rewarding when done.

I've moved into the cab now, waiting on a diesel heater arriving so thought I'd strip everything out to make things a bit easier with the prep work.

Ran in the cable for my split charge set up and sound deadened the floor

Whilst I had the seats out I fitted one of my Xmas pressies, Surprised at how well they fit and how they don't look quite so obvious as being covers.

I'm hoping the heater arrives soon so I can crack on and get it in before I go back to work next week.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually really enjoy the carpeting, Its not that hard but very rewarding when done.
I must have been doing it wrong then ? Saying that, I think if I was starting from scratch it would have been easier, working around someone elses work made it tricky, that's my excuse anyway!
More good work there, wish I had standard seats in mine as these covers look great!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts