VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Sort of decided to go for a sliding bed/seat so after doing a bit research I decided to go with caravelle rails to start with. Not made on final decision on what bed yet, I had decided on a Uberbus flux rib bed but getting hold of one is proving tricky and it's extortionate. Still considering a Cali 2 seater/bed or possibly even going the custom route, converting a normal Rib to work on rails(Flux copy) or I saw a thread recently about chopping down a Caravelle 3 seater to make a 2 seater.
The rails seam to go for crazy money on Ebay etc so ordered a new set from Germany for less than most 2nd hand ones. Whilst waiting on them I've made a start on the 30mm raised floor to accommodate them, Ply, Insulation and another layer of ply.

And about 5 months after they were dropped off I've finally got my tailgate, arch trims, bumper and modified spoiler back from the painter. OK, he took forever but to be fair to him the finish is flawless, I can't wait to get it build back up and swapped over.

Finally made a decision on units so the orders away for them, different finish to the pics tho.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
This is all looking very exciting mate, that paint finish looks amazing :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Having driven various vans(mostly landrovers) for 25yrs at work I'm surprised at how much I love this thing.

Being doing bits and bobs at nights and over the hols.

Black Friday special on side bars and carbon mirror covers,

Still not really got a plan for what I'm doing interior wise so been trying to do things that won't hinder me later on. Hated the grey headliner so bought a fake alcantara cover from ebay and plastidipped some of the plastics, if you use it quite heavily it's actually quite hard wearing and holds up well. Still had my MK4 Anni black light unit so popped that in as well.

Since stripping out the back it has been quite noisy so started sound deadening and insulating.

2mm silentcoat to all single skin metal work,

Dodo van liner insulation and some wool in some of the cavities

As I don't really have a plan for the back yet I didn't want to close in the rear panels so decided to carpet the shell and have separate carpeted panels with hidden clips so that I can remove them if I need to run wires etc. Had my first bash at it today and well pleased with the results, the 4 way stretch carpet makes it so much easier.

Unfortunately the ply panels I bought are ****, edges are wavey and holes don't line up. I could have made them better myself so will probably have a stab at that first, cheaper too.
Hi Looks cool.

Just a quick question on plastdip, did you prime first and how many coats did you use please.
I've spent time covering mine with the same vinyl as I used on the headlining (glued) but I'm not a dressmaker so look cr//p from a certain view
Looking good though

Cheers
JASB

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hi Looks cool.

Just a quick question on plastdip, did you prime first and how many coats did you use please.
I've spent time covering mine with the same vinyl as I used on the headlining (glued) but I'm not a dressmaker so look cr//p from a certain view
Looking good though

Cheers
JASB
No primer, just a really good clean.
I did a light dusting coat then 2 relatively heavy wet coats to get a nice, even finish.
I've actually just peeled it off the A pillar covers as they got damaged when the pop top was fitted and recovered them in stretchy suede.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Where did you get the stretchy suede Ajax ?
I got it here,

Nice stuff to work with, enough stretch for most stuff and nice and thin so no bulky edges when reassembling the trim.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a quick post to say how brilliant and useful this thread is! Loving what you've done to your van (y) It looks fab :cool:

I'm also reading Pduk's van thread too. Equally fab and useful!! You guys are stars for posting about your vans. It's giving me ideas and helpfu insight into how to do stuff.

I know there are more threads on the forum for me to discover too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Been busy at work but still managing to grab an hour here and there between the grim weather to get bits and bobs done.
Whilst I was waiting for the rails to arrive I cracked on getting the floor structure ready in preparation, turns out my google research let me down with the dimension for the thickness of the floor required, luckily I only had to replace the foam to bring my floor height back down to allow the covers to fit.
Whilst stripping everything off the underneath of the van I came across a fair bit of surface rust where the spare wheel fits so that was first mission to clean up and sort. Wire wheel got rid of most of it, couple of coats of Jenolite then a couple of POR15 then a top coat of Gravitex stone chip. The rest of the van looks pretty good for a 10yr old motor, I've ordered some Dinitrol wax stuff to give it final coat before putting everything back to normal.

The MOT guy gave me an advisory for the exhaust boxes delaminating so it was a good opportunity to get that sorted at the same time as fitting the rails as it and the heat shields all have to come off.

I'd also read that if fitting rails with a ply floor there's issues with getting access to the clips that hold the top trims on as there's no give in the floor to squeeze it down to pop the clips. I've done mine a bit differently and cut the top layer of ply larger around the rails to allow me to run a foam strip that will compress, allowing me into the clips.

Next up was some Altro, Actually thought it was easy to do right up to the gluing bit. The cutting and dry fit went excellent but when trying to glue it around the rails it didn't want to sit flat, a bit of a fight later it decided to play ball. Luckily my foam strips work well and I can easily remove the trims and it isn't that noticeable around the rails.
I also realised sometime ago that my California B pillar vent for the night heater wouldn't work so well with units going down that side of the van so ripped it out and put in a floor mounted vent behind my drivers seat.

I was going to have a go at doing my own blind pods but got lazy and ordered Vanshades ones, Pod for the sliding door and a splash back for the kitchen side. I didn't get the pod carpeted so I can do it myself to get a perfect carpet match.

Starting to feel my age crawling under a motor on the drive, nice to be getting to the end of it and will hopefully be back on it's wheels next week.
Had an absolute nightmare getting tailgate built up, combination of forgetting how to assemble the handle mechanism and a poor fitting replica handle. 3 nights of fighting with it and a genuine handle later and we're good to go when the weather improves and I can organise some bodies to assist.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Progress looks great mate 👍 .
Have you not got a plastic liner under the spare wheel area ?
Those window surrounds look just the job .
Speak to me about California B post trims ....:unsure:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Progress looks great mate 👍 .
Have you not got a plastic liner under the spare wheel area ?
Those window surrounds look just the job .
Speak to me about California B post trims ....:unsure:
Yeah, I've got the liner but I'm not entirely sure why only that one part has decided to rust. I can only assume there's been movement from the wheel on trim and it's worn away the protective wax. The rest of it looks really good, the wax coating and trims have done an excellent job of keeping it clean.

The California bits basically duct the hot air from your heater under the van up and into the van through the B pillar, you cut two holes in the lower pillar trim for vents, one points into the cab and the other into the rear. Great idea and a really neat solution but with units I think the heat will just bounce of the end of the units instead of into the rear of the van.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So after searching for months I finally found my first T5 a few weeks ago.

T28 Kombi, 69k miles, 140bhp, aircon, one owner, fairly local and it came with a sensible price.

Van looks like it's been looked after, well maintained and clean, it's certainly not been a work horse.

Gave it a quick snow foam and proper clean to inspect the paint, plenty of swirls, few stone chips but nothing to worry about.

Spent the whole weekend doing a panel at a time to clay mitt, polish with 3m fastcut, coat of wax then some enigma ceramic quick detailer, its still not perfect but it's presentable. I struggle these days with the patience to detail properly and obviously winters more or less here so I'll try and get it better in spring.

Although it's got a full service history it sat for most of last year so gave it a service and changed the timing belt and WP for some peace of mind.

I had a plan of how I wanted it to look and as it came in under my budget I had some change for some nice things. First up was sportline bits for the front, then B14's with new T6 top mounts and this week my new wheels arrived.

Calipers were pretty tatty so cleaned them up, Fronts discs and pads were good but rears were almost done so replaced them at the same time.

Had quite a few sets of coilovers over the years but I've got to admit I was a bit disappointed with the design of the B14s, a lot of hassle to adjust them. Luckily they drive fantastic, probably the best I've had so all is forgiven.

Spent ages looking at wheels but kept getting drawn back to the same ones so bit the bullet and ordered them, then spent even longer trying to work out what tyres would work best for me. Ended up with BBS SX, 20x9, ET42 with 255/40's and very happy with my choice.

Like a kid a christmas I was out in the dark, head torch on to get them fitted. Its sitting well but I need to tweek the heights a bit to get it even and at a height the works for me then I'll get the alignment sorted out.

Overall I'm over the moon with it, looks just how I wanted it and drives superb, one very happy owner.

What suspension setup are you running
how low have you dropped it
Great looking Van
Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
What suspension setup are you running
how low have you dropped it
Great looking Van
Cheers
Bilstein B14's. Not actually sure how much I lowered it, just adjusted it to height that works for me. Once I'm done fitting all the camper stuff I'll probably adjust it again as it'll be a bit heavier on the rear axle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Not updated for a while,

Got a large delivery from Evo Designs before Christmas,

Took my time building them up, I didn't want to rush and damage anything but as a lot of others said the Evo instructions are woeful.

Finally got them done and went for a test fit,

The aluminum corner trims didn't really work for me so ordered some black ones and rebuild the units, much happier with them.

Wasn't that happy with the supplied brackets for securing the units so made up some small ones out of aluminium angle and installed some rivnuts in the van. With spending so much time in the van with heater running in this weather the leisure battery was taking a hammering so decided to install a 240v supply and charger before I final fitted the units. Before I removed the larger cabinet I marked on the wall where all the shelves sat and then when the cabinet was out I installed my rear 12v fuse box, consumer unit and Victron charger.

I've gone for the hidden hook up under the rear lights and currently in the process of making the corner trim into a wee door to cover it. Hoping to get the fridge in this week and the final fit of the cabinets.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Awesome progress there mate, all coming together very well (y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Thanks guys, Got my gas vents and pipework in over the weekend. Fridge back in, hopefully for the last time and overhead light shelf fitted. Gave it a good clean up today, finally starting to feel like the end is in sight. Got the water pipework to sort out but not really expecting any dramas with that, just need to decide what container I'm gonna use.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts