VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

Premium Member
All looking very tidy there mate, just need to be able to get out and enjoy our campers now! (y)

Registered
That looks fantastic - definitely looks better with the black ally profiles too.
Great idea on the foam under the rail trims too. Wish I'd thought of similar when I did mine - I had to use a rubber mallet to get my covers to clip in on top of the Altro!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Is that tailgate on yet ? ? :rolleyes:
This van will be awesome when its finished.
Yeah, Its been on for a couple of months now, not sure how I forgot about it.

It was a right pain to fit and line up, its still not sitting how I think it should but it's on and water tight so I've just learned to live with it.
Turns out the lower corner on one side was still slightly bent inwards so caught the van when closed, luckily I managed to bend it back outwards with only one tiny mark to the paint. Both sides of it don't line up flush with sides of the van like I've seen others do in pictures but I've managed to get an even gap on both sides so it's liveable with. I can't really blame the painter as I didn't even notice it and I should probably have trial fitted it before committing to paint. The colour match isn't brilliant either but it'll do, I just wanted it on and get some use out of the van. I've got white patches on show now where the barn doors hinges used to be so I'll bodge that myself when we get better weather and possibly get it all done properly next year.
Tried two full height ply panels and none have fitted well, I modified the better of the two and carpeted it but its not the finish I was looking for so it'll be something I'll be having another attempt at in the future.
On the plus side I do love the practical side of having a tailgate, with it up and the garage door open I can jump back and forward without getting wet. The new bumper and taillights freshened up the rear end of it.

Premium Member
Just read through this from start to finish. Absolutely love what you have done. Makes me just wanna buy loads of stuff online and get on with my list of jobs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
With the **** weather this week I decided to potter about in the garage and make up a simple bike holder for random days out instead of just launching the bike in the back.

Cut down an old Thule roof bar I had, a few coats of wrinkle black paint to tidy it up. Couple of M6 bolts, threaded dowels, eye nuts, some nylon washers and a fork mount and its all done. Works really well, slides up and down easily and is very secure. My new bike has boost spacing so I'll need to make up a spacer for the fork mount and I've ordered some "T" bolts so I can utilise the grove in the bar so the fork mount will adjust side to side. Pretty chuffed with it for very little outlay, I'll make up another for the back so I can get two bikes in. Going from the dimensions I have for the Flux Rib bed, with it as far forward on the rails it should all just squeeze in, if it ever turns up that is, fingers crossed!!

Premium Member
Definitely one of my favourites on here, such a smart build (y) The bike mount is genius and shows your adaptivitiness (yeah that's a word) with your set up.

One thing I still need to look more into is securing my bike in the back so it doesn't move about.

Registered
I've been looking at those fork mounts, does the rest of the bike move around when going around corners etc as I'd need to sit three close together?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I've been looking at those fork mounts, does the rest of the bike move around when going around corners etc as I'd need to sit three close together?
Bikes are actually very secure, I've not had any issues with it so and its been used quite a few times now.

Not really done much to the van other than use it, been a bit of a workhorse.

Tidied up a few bits inside that I wasn't happy with, Got rid of the carpet on the "B" pillars and replaced with stretchy suede.

Wound the rear coilovers up a bit as it sitting with a bit reverse rake. Been having a tidy up around the house/garage so popped the bike rack on as it takes up a hell of a space. The spoiler project might be reaching its conclusion soon, was hoping to have it on by now but I'll wait till it warms up a bit. Its a bit heavier than a standard one so still trying to decide on what adhesive to use, Tigerseal or one of the Sikaflex's. Think I'll just try it with tape first to see how it looks before commiting to permanent fix.

I've also been having a bit of a nightmare with the Flux Rib bed, basically I ordered it in October and apparently it now won't be here until mid June, 4mths after the quoted delivery date I was given when it was ordered. Being a generally patient person I wasn't overally fussed when February came and went and no sign of it. Whats really annoyed me the most is the complete lack of communication from Banwy VW, they just ignore emails and I'm pretty sure they've just been telling me BS. They offered me a plain bed that they have in stock and they would get it upholstered to match my custom original order, only slight issue the upholsterer is booked until mid june!!
At the moment I don't specifically need it so I could wait but I've pretty much lost all faith in them so considering just getting my money back and buying a cali two seater bed.

Premium Member
Some cracking shots of you stunning motor mate, more top work as to be expected. Nice tough with the tartan door cards, ties in well with your seats and other detailings.

Reminds me I need to order a bike mount and build that into my van before much longer!

That's a shitter about the bed, I'd be tempted to bin them off as it sounds like you're just being messed around, have you paid in full or just a deposit?

Premium Member
Do like a Black T5, what i wanted, was just concerned about how much heat the body attracts in the summer. The look stunning though when clean

Premium Member
Do like a Black T5, what i wanted, was just concerned about how much heat the body attracts in the summer. The look stunning though when clean
Does the colour make much difference when it's a tin box, mine as a roastie toastie place on hot days...no ac 馃サ

Premium Member
Does the colour make much difference when it's a tin box, mine as a roastie toastie place on hot days...no ac 馃サ
from what I've found yeah, I work with a guy who has a basic white ford transit custom, and in the spring months when it's still cold but the sun it out its a very noticeable difference mine (LC9X) was red hot and his was still cool. so either Ford stuff more insulation into the van or it's the colour difference馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Have to say black definitley wasn't any of my preferred colours but the price, mileage, spec and locality meant I'd have been foolish not to buy my van. Didn't really notice it being excessivley warm inside last summer but not being able to wash it etc when the suns out is a bit of a pain. Just wish in reality the paint was as good as it looks in the pictures, have to keep reminding myself its a van that's to be used and not a show ornament.

So I've requested a refund for the Rib bed, no response as of yet but they have offered a refund twice so hopefully it won't be a hassle.
Plan B was a Cali 2 seater, had one lined up, confirmed they'd ship to Scotland, 2hrs later they won't sell me one as apparantly VW have significantly increased the price of them and the ones they had in stock they were keeping for conversions they had booked in.
On to plan C, Found a picture online of a 3 seater out of a caravelle that had been cut down to a 2 seater, looks pretty good. I fancied the challenge so bought nice 3 seater leather one, took me a few nights to pluck up the courage to start it but we're under way now. Two nights to carefully remove the covers and foam, some nice mouse damage to the foam but it's light so hopefully not fatal. Measured up and got the recip saw out and basically chopped the entire end off, I need to get it in the van to start measuring up properly. As it stands all the mechanisms still work and I can't see any reason why I'll need to touch them which makes things a lot easier.
I've spoken to a local upholsterer and he's up for the challenge, I'll take it up to him as it is and see what recommends doing with regards to reconstructing the end. I'd like retain the way the end sweeps up so it looks symetrical but at the moment I'm reluctant to go any further with it myself until I let him see it and what he recommends doing with it.
Hopefully it'll all work out, if not it's gonna be a costly mistake....

1st day the local travel restrictions were lifted I made a beeline up the A9 for a day on the bike. The roads were still quiet and it was perfect bike conditions so all in all it was a fantastic day out, made my first cup of coffee and bacon roll in it :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Looks superb 馃憤 :cool:
Thanks mate(y)

Couldn't resist a sneaky trial fit tonight, first opportunity I've had to confirm my rails are in the right place and parallel.

Good news is they are and the seat slides back and forward a dream:)

I'll have to relocate the locking feet over to the right hand leg from the middle leg but that doesn't look too hard. The mounting points for the plain feet on the right hand leg look the same so it should be a straight swap and then extend the operating rod over to the right, hopefully....

Premium Member
Shame you've had to cancel but looks like you're cracking on well with another version. (y)

Where abouts were you biking, looks a great place for it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Shame you've had to cancel but looks like you're cracking on well with another version. (y)

Where abouts were you biking, looks a great place for it!
To be honest I'm kind of glad I got the opportunity to cancel, The Rib Flux sounds a good idea but I wasn't entirely sold on how it looks. I also found out it's not a 2min job to remove, there's a bit of dismantling to do which wasn't really what I was after.
That was a wee hurl about a few lochs in the Cairngorms, Parked up just outside Aviemore. Nothing too crazy but the scenery is amazing and a good opportunity to get proper remote.

Been cracking on with the seat. I met up with the upholsterer and he's happy to take on the project and advised me on what he needs me to do.
On his advice I've framed in the end of the base and reattached the end piece of the back. The plastic back board has also had a chunk taken out of it and now fits perfectly. Just need to paint it up, refit the seat belts and drop it off to him.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts