VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Top work as always mate, looking forward to seeing the results (y)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
A well over due update,

After months of waiting I got the call from my upholsterer a couple of weeks ago, golf injuries had put him out of action.
Dropped the seat off to him and went to collect it today. I'm pretty chuffed with the results although there was a hiccup with the seat belts, he installed the cushion and cover over the top of the belt redendering it useless. I just took it away and decided to sort it myself, luckily once the tail was unbolted I was able to pull it up through the cushion and route it correctly. A couple of hours chopping and refitting the lower plastics and a good clean then some moisturiser and it looks great.
Whilst I was waiting I knocked up a bed board and picked up some supports from eBay, they're hinged with a damper so the board flips up to the same angle as the back of the seat. I also got a California mattress topper from someone local to me and used that as guide to size the board. I was going to hinge the board but decided to leave it alone until I've actually tried it in anger. Overall I'm quite chuffed with the flexible layout of the van, I've ended up with everything I wanted for a hell of a lot less money than an Uberbus Rib or a California seat.
Other than that I've not done too much to the van, the plumbing's finally all done, a pair of rear calipers to get it through the MOT and a new set of tyres this week.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
That looks excellent - very similar to my interior (other than the kitchen units you've got). I wish the support legs with the dampers in had been available when I built my bed extension. I ended up adding them but they're mounted on the side so aren't nice and compact being mounted inside the support itself.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to get your seat reupholstered? I'd like to get my Caravelle seat done to match my fronts but realise it's a fairly complicated bit of upholstery unlike a simple rock n roll seat/bed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
That looks excellent - very similar to my interior (other than the kitchen units you've got). I wish the support legs with the dampers in had been available when I built my bed extension. I ended up adding them but they're mounted on the side so aren't nice and compact being mounted inside the support itself.
If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to get your seat reupholstered? I'd like to get my Caravelle seat done to match my fronts but realise it's a fairly complicated bit of upholstery unlike a simple rock n roll seat/bed.
I paid £100 to get the original cover and foam modified to fit the shorter seat. I originally wanted him to stitch in some GTI tartan panels and same with my fronts to match but he was quite keen just to stick the original design first to see what the fitment would be like first if that makes sense. We can then re do them in the future using what we have as a template, at the moment tho I think they'll be staying as is.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts