VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

James here. I bought a SWB VW T5.1 (T32) last year as a standard panel van and have been doing work to convert to a camper... not made much progress the past few months but hoping to get some more work done when the weather breaks (if we ever see the sun again!).

I'll do a proper build thread in time - took loads of pictures of the work. I've completed all the work listed below myself (except for the windows which were done by a pro. The wiring was also pre-arranged and bought as a kit)...

• Had windows installed
  • Sound proofed and fully insulated the floor/sides/ceiling
  • Carpeted the van (including the headlining)
  • Fitted a new floor complete with wood effect vinyl
  • Fitted a real wood ceiling complete with LEDs (never know whether to refer to it as a ceiling or roof lol)
  • Bought a wiring kit with leisure battery/split charger/external hookup
  • Currently in the process of building a pull-out bed
  • Currently in the process of refurbing and painting the standard steel wheels black
Not sure of future plans, but focusing on getting the van at least to a half decent finished state... would love to go down the swamper route, but can't see it happening.

20200108_161949-01.jpeg

IMG_20190821_192527-01.jpeg

Thanks all

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for the welcome ?. Haha, to be fair, I love the look - shame I dont have the 4 wheel drive to back it up!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Mines 2wd but its never stopped me
After all i figure folk slam suspension and add spoilers and low profile tyres even tho its a van not a track tool ?
Whats the next mod on the list bud?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, my thoughts exactly. I don't want this to be a crashy ride.. I get enough of that in my M240i ?
Having said that, I do have a spoiler ready to fit but just havent got around to doing it yet.
Next on the list is to make a pull out bed which I started on the weekend then want to tidy up some of the wiring inside. I can't see me fitting a hob/fridge anytime soon so want to make sure the wiring is accessible but tucked away.
Then I need to finish of sorting the wheels... was a job I wish I hadn't started but hey ho. Currently I have 2 gloss black steels on one side and grubby silver wheels on the other ?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I contemplated a spoiler but opted for a bike rack instead
Sounds like you're going to be keeping busy
Keep the pictures coming ? (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks both. I'll keep the updates coming!

On a side note here's the bed I started on the weekend... still need to do the pull-out section and add wood around the frame to finish it off. Probably will do tongue and groove like the ceiling for consistency...
20200221_170635.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Very nice T you've got there, off to a great start. Interested to see your progress (y)
I'm in the process of designing my sofa bed, trying to make mine a little different and it's causing me some headaches! ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Pd. Yours looks great too - look forward to having a proper read of your build thread. Interested to see your sofa bed! Hopefully we can learn stuff from each other seen as we're building at the same time... my first bit of advice being invest in a decent saw lol. Almost everything I cut was wonky!

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Thanks bud, don't think I'm doing too bad being 8 months into owning my first van ?
Think I'm on design 6 at the minute, got sketches all over my desk at work trying to fathom a solution. I can see why people buy rock and roll beds!
Nothing wrong with being a little wonky, home builds have character (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts