1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new or reacquainted as was on here 5 years ago with 2001 white t4
Fast forward 5 years and recently bought another
Old one still going I'm. Told guy did a tdi conversion
Toying with swap I'm. Too busy to do anyone in South Wales do a drive in drive out
1.9td it's slow
5th gear is.....
And the clutch on end of days
Was put off modding my motor

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
you can improve the 1.9td but its not got the refinment or economy of a 1.9tdi (& cruise control is great ;) )

a tidy / professional conversion will cost, theres always 'extras' that add to it & theres also the donor vehicle (if you've not already got one?)
as to 5th gear, before you decide on anything I'd advise checking whats already fitted (check gearbox code?)

Rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks I had t4 five years ago it was exactly the same I'm generally very happy with it not want rocket power just little more go I've heard of adding intercooler tweaks to actuator and fuel pump
Once it's rolling along its fine just 3k rpm at 60 mph rather noisy and id say thirsty

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'd say you've got the correct gearing already, remember its a 2ton van with ~68hp (on a good day) and adding a higher 5th gear would need more torque to maintain speeds on hills (important where I live!) and usually needs more throttle so more fuel used :(
my '95 t4 is tdi'd & after experementing have settled on .7:1 fifth gear (on a 4.6:1 final-drive as used in 2.4 vans & some 1.9's) that runs 3,000rpm @ 60mph
- I did use a .65:1 but there was a horrendous rev-drop between 4th & fifth gears and it was not a plesant driving experience
you will see people saying that a .62:1 is perfect but I believe they either live in a flat area (or city) and thras their vans in 4th gear before selecting fifth or suffer from 'the Emperror's new clothes' syndrome & refuse to accept how it realy is🤡

Rich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I get than entirely the characteristics are identical to my last one the 5th gear upgrade be for flat motorway nothing else
Did you do anything to te tweak engine

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
the '1Z' tdi engine I fitted was from a 1995 B4 Passat with 314,000 miles behind it, sipposedly 90hp when new..

so I fitted it ~7 years ago....

seems to average ~45mpg over a tank of fuel whatever I do (mfa display shows ~55mpg locally but drops @ speed to match overall figures on motorway journeys)

does it need more power?
probably:unsure:

have I bothered trying to increase the power with bigger turbo / injectors / remap etc?
NO (y)

ok,I lied🤡, its de-restricted (egr removed, t5 front mount intercooler & straight-through exhaust) egr & intercooler are for a neat install & the exhaust was because I could...

Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts