VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hill, just wanted to say hi. Started a project on an nz new 2.4 swb window van. Probably done it in the wrong country as no one does parts here but I guess that will make it different from all the jap vans here! Off having Cambelt and water pump done ATM but will post pics when it's back. Now off to vw dealer to get told they can't get the parts I want as usual!

Thanks for the hive of info on here, great community.

J

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hill, just wanted to say hi. Started a project on an nz new 2.4 swb window van. Probably done it in the wrong country as no one does parts here but I guess that will make it different from all the jap vans here! Off having Cambelt and water pump done ATM but will post pics when it's back. Now off to vw dealer to get told they can't get the parts I want as usual!

J
Hi and welcome to the madhouse T:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Welcome aboard buddy, great country you have there , hopefully get down there someday , good luck with your van. Baz. T:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys, yeah great place to use one of these so (bar the lack of air con) when summer comes i can make the most of it!
you dont really see them so hoping with heaps of bit coming from T4srus via my mum back in the UK it will be almost unique.

once i work this forum business out ill get some photos on..:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts

J
Hi Erinyes
Just wanted to say Im a New Zealander in Deutschland, been here for 5 years now, I have a T4 hightop 1994 TD if you need to source any parts mate, flick me an email, and yea guys you have a Great Forum here T:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh thanks mate, where abouts you from? Im originally from the UK so using my parents as a delivery point at the moment and getting my poor old mum to sent things on to me. You guys in the UK dont know how lucky you are getting bits so easily and cheaply!
for example..i went into VW dealer yesterday to get replacment rubber bellows (the rubber bit the wires run through in the door shuts) and they wanted $75 each and a 3 month delivery... so nearly £40 each for a 3 inch bit of rubber! Also trying to find a single seat base for my passenger side, phoned 10 wreckers in the whole country who just do vans or euro cars, not one had ever broken a T4 let alone had any parts. Good side being i know an engineer who can make me one so easy way out. I did ask VW but the want $1248 for the seat base alone and 3 months delivery.

The plus side of it all, im in the right country to enjoy it once its done!

·
Registered
104 Posts
welcome from wales-and there was me thinking the grass was greener...not always it seems!

·
Registered
332 Posts
ahh thanks mate, where abouts you from? Im originally from the UK so using my parents as a delivery point at the moment and getting my poor old mum to sent things on to me. You guys in the UK dont know how lucky you are getting bits so easily and cheaply!
for example..i went into VW dealer yesterday to get replacment rubber bellows (the rubber bit the wires run through in the door shuts) and they wanted $75 each and a 3 month delivery... so nearly £40 each for a 3 inch bit of rubber! Also trying to find a single seat base for my passenger side, phoned 10 wreckers in the whole country who just do vans or euro cars, not one had ever broken a T4 let alone had any parts. Good side being i know an engineer who can make me one so easy way out. I did ask VW but the want $1248 for the seat base alone and 3 months delivery.

The plus side of it all, im in the right country to enjoy it once its done!
Hi mate,and welcome to the mad house LOL:,just a thought,have you tried eurocar parts AUS. Think they are based in sydney so you still have to import but you will get parts quicker than 3 months. They seem to carry a large stock of parts,but not genuine VW.hope this helps. Joe Taylor T:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Hi mate,and welcome to the mad house LOL:,just a thought,have you tried eurocar parts AUS. Think they are based in sydney so you still have to import but you will get parts quicker than 3 months. They seem to carry a large stock of parts,but not genuine VW.hope this helps. Joe Taylor T:
I don't know, $1248 for a seat base sounds very reasonable to me I:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers guy, will try euro car in AUS later. thanks for the heads up.
Its in today having cambelt, waterpump and general check over today so excess money will go into the wheel fund! its little america here so trying to avoid chrome 20's etc btu had a good offer on some foose split rims off a merc that arnt chrome so might go for them to be a bit different.. lowering at the weekend so hoping the lack of salt here will help with front torsion bars. they look clean enough...he says..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Welcome along... I'm in Sydney atm but spent 2 weeks touring the north island in early July T:

Try out JustKampers - they have an Oz website...
http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/

As for seat bases, some 3-5mm Box Section is a good alternative, especially as most non-standard seats are higher than the T4 seats... Take a look at the threads in here on fitting seats.

Wheels should be OK to source if you can find some 5x112 Benz wheels. Otherwise the Jap/US fitting 5x114 wheels will fit with the aid of PCD "wobble" bolts... My uncle in Wellington had a set of nice 17" Merc rims he just sold on Trademe which would have been nice haha!

Anyway, enjoy the van and laugh at all the Hiaces that look like [email protected] T:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome! T:

Many years ago I toured the South Island in a Subaru estate (proper campers were too £££ for my budget)!! Lots of 'roads' were dirt tracks, so not sure I'd lower much and think I'd add nice chunky tyres to add to the comfort too............synchro stylee!!

You've definitely got one of the nicest places in the world to enjoy it, have fun!! A:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
Your right about being in the right country for touring, I took the wife there for our honeymoon back in 2007. Had a great time on our road trip driving around the north island.
Would love to emigrate over, but sadly the money we could have used to help fund it, went on buying our van here. I:
We stayed with my aunt in Browns bay, Auckland, so if your ever in that area, kindly go say hi to her from me please!!! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
weirdly i picked the van up from very near browns bay!

good shout on the roads, its mainly the south island TBH im near hamilton in north so a bit more civilised.

another amusing story for you all to enjoy, took it in for the cambelt etc at 8, 4pm it gets dropped off at my work..AWESOME! thinking its all done etc, bloke gets out and says need to price the parts up but to be honest i dont want to do it.

great, no one here wants to know if its not japanese! so off to find someone else who can do the work, then on way home vacuum pump start knocking. Its just making me more determined to get it done TBH. I WILL HAVE THE ONLY nice T4 in NZ!!

also found the plate 'TEE4' today so thats on the shopping list T:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Seriously fella, don't take the mechanic not wanting to do the cambelt change personally. There are more than enough mechs over here who feel the same way!! Lucky for you he was at least honest, if you're unlucky they bodge it and run with your ££ leaving you to pick up the pieces................plenty of threads on here about that!

Fingers crossed you can find a VW mad mechanic to help you out - there must be someone in NZ!! T:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Welcome along fella.... fairly new to these ere' T4's myself, but there are a wash of helpful folks willing to share their knowledge.
Good luck with the project, T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey bud, i love that place not long been back,how far are you from tauramaunui,my family all live in bay of islands but a friend who emigrated as well lives there and is a mechanic who now fix,s tractors to pass the time!! I will ty to get his number if your stuck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts