VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first t4 2.5tdi as a spares or repair. Long story short, it has an mot now but gearbox died driving it out the garage. I knew it had a gearbox issue but didn't realise it required attention quite so immediately!
So, how much should I be looking at paying for a second hand gearbox and how much should I be paying labour to swap it?
Unless there's anyone in West Dorset that can help me out directly...
Any help/advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Was looking into this recently, although it wasn't the course I took in the end. I reckon you'd be able to find a recon gearbox for 800ish if you look around. Fitting maybe a couple of hundred. I found a good place near me in Devon but maybe a bit far for you. It may be worth taking it to some helpful and trusted to see what they say. You never know, it might be salvable

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I've sourced a new(second hand) gearbox. Is there a decent illustrated write up somewhere for removing the gearbox that I can print off to help speed things up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine went bang - ended up getting Wagenworx to do a rebuild - £1500 including fitting and some other bits. Box rebuild by Gearchange in Somerset about 900 - full strip and build - new genuinie parts under 1k. Better than a an unknown box and has a guarantee too.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Ok I've sourced a new(second hand) gearbox. Is there a decent illustrated write up somewhere for removing the gearbox that I can print off to help speed things up?
Make sure its the right 'box code otherwise you'll have 25 mpg & a top speed of 70mph I:

If your van is 88bhp there's a good chance its an EWB code ~ these are rarer than Tony Blairs truthfullness :ILU:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts