VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, we are trying to locate and buy a t4. been looking ages but seem to get pipped at the post every time a decent one comes up for sale. we will keep trying and hopefully we will be proud new owners soon!! when we get the van, we plan to do a full conversion ourselves. where do we start, paint outside or insulation inside? any advice. thank you. :) just excited and want to chat really.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Welcome onboard:) As i recent member myself im sure you will find this place a great help and all are a friendly bunchT:

It took my ages to find a van that wasnt all dented up,kept getting outbid on Ebay..I wanted to do it all myself aswell due to having a limited budget.I found my van on Autotrader in the end.

As for where to start...thats up to you..If your planning on a respray then thats where i would start..That way you can have all the inside door jambs etc done so its not i different colour when you open them.Then build your interior to allow your van to 'drop' with the wieght.Then lowering spring if you plan to use them and wheels.T:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'll echo what Happy Days has said, start on the outside and work inwards. I didn't :( but I will next time, and there will be a next time, but I'm too busy enjoying T4 ownership to worry about that now!

plan what you want in the van and make sure that all the wiring and insulation is sorted before you carpet line, otherwise it can be a real ball ache......

remember to take loads of pictures as we never tire of seeing build threads!! T:

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. you do seem a nice bunch, feel like we belong already. figured working from outside in was the way to go. will keep in touch, with photos. have a nice weekend. Rasp:

·
Registered
232 Posts
we never get bored of looking at T4's Fella..Keep us up to dateT:..theres the for sale section on here...also pistonheads and your local free ads:cool:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'd echo the other comments. Welcome aboard.

As regards looking for a good van: I would make the effort to go to one of the big shows (T4Fest in Beaulieu next weekend or Vanfest in Sept for example) and have a chat to the forum members there. It will also give you an idea of layouts, equipment worth and not worth having, etc. Also look in the vans for sale section on here. You can be pretty sure that vans in there will have been fairly well, to ridiculously well looked after, and in most cases you can read through what their previous owners have posted about their van and it's problems (sneaky ehh?).

Keep plugging away, good T4s are out there. T:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Have found a van now and are the proud owners of an 53' plate swb with only 80000 on the clock. Only paid 3000 for it lol, what a bargain, one owner and full history, the guy has no idea what people are paying for them at present. Anyway the project is underway and will post some pics shortly, can't wait to get stuck in !:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts