VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after much angst, I have placed a deposit on a pop top.

My van was converted for new, but was only ever a 2 berth. With a 5 year old, it was just getting too tight.

It has taken weeks of research to find:

The right fitter.

The right roof.

Either of which if you get wrong, can turn the whole process into a bit of a nightmare.

My budget would have stretched to a SCA or Riemo, but I couldn't justify the costs (against the benefits and the value of the van). I've gone for an Austops, with the main concession being the non scissor hinges at the bottom end so reduced usable length. My 5 year old isn't that tall, so I think he will fit it for 5 years.

I also entrusted Andy at Revampavan to hack my van to pieces ;-) then repair it with fibre glass. I saw some of the work he had going on at his place, and although a small business, he made me feel warm inside.

So it's going in 3 weeks for the job. The roof is on order and let's see what we get. Of course, I'll post some pictures up when it's all done.

To anyone else embarking on this journey (of decision),m good luck. It's hard work if you do your research properly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Exciting stuff. Hope it goes well, from my limited research the Austop roof seems to be one of the better rated "mid range" tops. Make sure you post lots of pics!

I'm sure your son will think it's great. One of my boys is a similar age, he'd think sleeping in the roof was "epic" (to quote one of his fave words!) but it's not on the cards for us at this stage.

T:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Mine is going in on Thursday for a PoptopUk roof with Vanhaus. I have gone for the new higher lifting version so fingers crossed all will go well!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'm local to you Southampton and I have an Austop

Been very pleased with the product and Austop them selves even when i had a problem they didn't mess me about about where very good. So much so I will be getting another Austop for the next van. So that says alot.

Now my only complaint is nothing to do with Austop but the bed. I have spoken to Jim and he has changed how he does the beds now so I am not alone in what I am about to say..

Make sure the bed is longer than alot of the companies do..

my van is a LWB van so they use a 6x4 sheet to cut it up to make the bed.. trouble is it's 6"'s too short for me to sleep up there..

SO I added in a board which is abit of a mess I think but works .. what they did was use the 6Ft board and cut the first flat part off it for the hinge part! DON'T!! ask for a new bit of wood to go in there and then get the full 6foot of bed..

then it works! for Adults as well.. but yes your right for kids it's perfect right though to 13-15 years old!

I made a thermal cover for my van to add to the Austop and it's brilliant..

I love the hinges at the back over the lift things.. less to go wrong inmy view.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts