VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am getting the van ready for paint over the next few months.

Short nose. Need some primed bumpers. Mine are scraped and need to be scrapped.

Where is the best place to get them? VW or somewhere else. Cheaper the better of course but not gonna buy ****.

Where has everyone found theirs?

Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
I also interested in new front bumper at right price or could do with some advice on bumper prep, i understand you have to smooth and can sand them - but what to use on scratches/scuffs (special plastic bodyfiller - any recommendations?) and what primer do people use on bumpers?

Cheers Whiteee...

ps. sorry to hijack thread but struggling on finding information on this even using search!

·
Registered
772 Posts
mine were scratched and scrapped ,we have sanded plastic primed and used filler primer and the basecoat doesn`t even show the scrapes any more .
the top coats should even finish off with a smooth finish the texture isnt that deep so depending on the scrapes try sandind them out first mate :ILU:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
if you go for eurocarparts or gsf id be happy to fone your local one in advance to see if i can wrangle my discount for you.......

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
i dont think you can buy a primed short nose front bumper.

i may be wrong but i searched for bumpers and couldnt find one.

vw main dealer dont sell them

only for long nose

you can buy a primed rear from eurocarparts

although i would recommend buying the black plactic from them as even though its not primed it is smooth so would only need a sand then some adhesion promoter and then plastic primer.

ive just bought one myself yesterday

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
I also interested in new front bumper at right price or could do with some advice on bumper prep, i understand you have to smooth and can sand them - but what to use on scratches/scuffs (special plastic bodyfiller - any recommendations?) and what primer do people use on bumpers?

Cheers Whiteee...

ps. sorry to hijack thread but struggling on finding information on this even using search!
the key to spraying bumpers as all paintwork is in the prep

back to black silicon products cause peeling and flaking paint

if you use a brand new bumper it will be fine.

if you do use a second hand bumper will need washing and washing and washing

then some more washing

then need panel wipe/ degreaser same process again and again and again.

then sand bumpers for a key

then use an adhesion promoter

then plastic primer

then primer filler sand with 800 wet dry until smooth

then you are ready for paint.T:

·
Registered
307 Posts
according to the search i did on eurocarparts the front and back are available in both primed and black...?!?

Might order a front this week but the back one is quite a bit more expensive...!

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
according to the search i did on eurocarparts the front and back are available in both primed and black...?!?

Might order a front this week but the back one is quite a bit more expensive...!
this is correct but i think you will find the front primed bumper is a long nose bumper

they dont fit a short nose van.

i would advise getting local depot to order one in rather than order one online

problem with ordering transporter parts from places like this is there are a few front bumpers.

black and primed plus short nose plus long nose plus pre 96 bumper aswell

remember the black rear ones are smooth anyway.

just not primed

also something else that is nice with their rear bumper is that they dont have the square nobs on the top part it is completly smooth

·
Registered
335 Posts
vw dont sell a primed front bumper for the short nose, but the caravelle style one is aorund 160.00, however the primed rear one is £350.00 quid ish!!!

thats absolute madness - got for ECP or GSF for deffo!!!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I got a painted front one........ painted india blue in good nick ideal for a rub down and re paint:ILU:

pm me!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
yup,that's the secret,clean,clean and then clean again,then leave to let the solvents dry out of the plastic,a few days if you can :eek:
use washing up liquid and water as well as solvent cleaners to get rid of any water based dirt (mud) in the plastic grain as well.
a good 1k or 2 pack plastic primer first,leaving plenty of time to let it dry and letting the solvents out (plastic is like a sponge to solvents) then apply high build 2k primer,leaving good flash of time between coats.
either bake or air dry,then sand down using a air sander and wet and dry for the fiddly bits.
leave to dry out(water is absorbed into primers) then paint.
be careful if you sand thought to 1k plastic primer,it may react,but should be ok if you leave good flash off times between primer coats :ILU:
of course you cannot do this if you need to make money,but if you are doing it yourself,do not rush things.
no need for flexible additives either,the bumpers are rigid enough.
regards jon

the key to spraying bumpers as all paintwork is in the prep

back to black silicon products cause peeling and flaking paint

if you use a brand new bumper it will be fine.

if you do use a second hand bumper will need washing and washing and washing

then some more washing

then need panel wipe/ degreaser same process again and again and again.

then sand bumpers for a key

then use an adhesion promoter

then plastic primer

then primer filler sand with 800 wet dry until smooth

then you are ready for paint.T:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Kelly at audiosport does a later short nose bumper in fibreglass with the vr6 splitter moulded and smooth ready for painting. not sure on prices. give him a shout. audiosport-kel. T:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Kelly at audiosport does a later short nose bumper in fibreglass with the vr6 splitter moulded and smooth ready for painting. not sure on prices. give him a shout. audiosport-kel. T:
any pictures ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts