VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening
Sorry to post yet another radio thread... Im already tired of reading through them.

So basically I got myself a 08 T5 van in January and have been dreading changing the RCD200 ever since.

Iv got a cheap n cheerful kenwood dab unit (dpx7000dab I think), and when testing earlier the stereo wouldn't turn on and off with key/ignition. Iv been reading about having to take a red wire to fuse 29 or something... But have absolutely no idea what any of this means. Do i pull the connectors apart for the red wire on the loom and then feed a wire from this to the fuse box???

I think iv read almost every radio thread on here looking for pictures or an explanation i understand... But no joy yet haha

Please can someone point me to some pictures!!!

I apologies now for not being the most mechanically minded and thanks for all the help!

Nice one

J

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,170 Posts
This is what you need to do ref taking a feed from fuse #19 (not 29)

Picture is from my 2008 Shuttle fusebox, to the left of the gearstick console.

In essence, the red wire from here goes to to the red wire on the kenwood and that is it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah brilliant thank you! I will have a look after work.
So I have to buy one of those fuses I have read about, buy some new wire and connectors??
Do u have or could you get a picture of the back of your stereo loom please? (where the extra red goes from fuse box)

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Evening
Sorry to post yet another radio thread... Im already tired of reading through them.

So basically I got myself a 08 T5 van in January and have been dreading changing the RCD200 ever since.

Iv got a cheap n cheerful kenwood dab unit (dpx7000dab I think), and when testing earlier the stereo wouldn't turn on and off with key/ignition. Iv been reading about having to take a red wire to fuse 29 or something... But have absolutely no idea what any of this means. Do i pull the connectors apart for the red wire on the loom and then feed a wire from this to the fuse box???

I think iv read almost every radio thread on here looking for pictures or an explanation i understand... But no joy yet haha

Please can someone point me to some pictures!!!

I apologies now for not being the most mechanically minded and thanks for all the help!

Nice one

J
You can use a piggy back fuse like Hoovie suggested, or pick up the thin green/brown wire located behind this fuse, same colour is also located behind the glovebox in the thick loom, use a 5amp fuse close to where you splice into.

Lastly we sell a plug and play CanBus interface, takes seconds to fit

·
8,170 Posts
Ah brilliant thank you! I will have a look after work.
So I have to buy one of those fuses I have read about, buy some new wire and connectors??
Do u have or could you get a picture of the back of your stereo loom please? (where the extra red goes from fuse box)
Don't have a photo but all these aftermarket radios have near-identical wiring at the ISO plug (the 2 8-wire blocks) end.
The radio will have a yellow-to-yellow and red-to-red wires on bullet connectors on the loom supplied with it. The basic reason being that some vehicles have the permanent radio +12V and the Ignition +12V swapped over, so it allows the installer to deal with that without any cutting of cables by swapping red and yellow.
This piggy back fuse method allows you to take advantage of this by plugging in a cable with the right connector one end (radio red bullet) and push into the fuse #19 holder the other. So totally (electrically) toolless T: and takes a couple of minutes to route the cables.
Splicing into the wires is a neater solution but requires some tools and comes with more risk if you are less experienced.
The simplest solution of all is to get a quadlock-iso loom with a canbus spoofed ignition signal like Absolut5 sell and is a plug and play solution :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had tried looking at absolute's canbus thing, but the links in other threads just took me to a dead page... how much are they??

Thanks Hoovie that's exactly the explanation I was looking for....

Hopefully last question. What type of wire do I need to make to connectio??

Thanks
J

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I had tried looking at absolute's canbus thing, but the links in other threads just took me to a dead page... how much are they??

Thanks
J
Hiya

Answered your pm before seeing this... they are £39.99

·
8,170 Posts

Thanks
J
Hi.
Not sure why my PM replies are blank :* I can see your messages so PM me your email address and I will reply that way T:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All sorted for a mere fiver! I tried doing it myself, bought wrong size piggyback... Couldn't get a mini blade local for love nor money!
@Hoovie saved the day! 2 day postage and half the price of the fraudsters! Big ups dude!
Cheers
J

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad I stumbled on this before going through the trouble of joining onto the wire.
Just received my piggy back fuse from Amazon ready for HU fitting this weekend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts