VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate. Nice base van. Already carpeted aswell. What are your plans for it?

Also, what year is it? I think mine was on a J before the previous owner put a private plate on it
whereabouts in barnsley you from? I'm from hoyland soon to be moving back to wombwell from leeds

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First things first, I had a set of 18 inch alloys in the shed which i picked up cheap on ebay so these went on. Looking better already and doesn't wallow about as much

Then I ordered some clear indicators to clean up the front a bit

From this-

To this-

Then i set about removing the vinyl as i prefer the clean de-cluttered look

Before-

After 10 minutes with the hairdryer

I hated the mahoosive ferris wheel steering wheel so set about fitting something a little bit smaller. I had an Audi Sport steering wheel from my recently departed Audi 80 tdi
R.I.P 'Derv Diggler'

The original wheel was like driving a bus

And the sport wheel went straight on

Now the issues started to arise. the horn wouldn't work, the indicator cancel lug was on the wrong side and it obscured the warning lights. Time to formulate a plan

First problem overcome by rotating the back plate by 180 degrees by removing the 4 allen bolts, indicator lug now on the right side and as if by magic because the mounting is offset towards the bottom, it was now towards the top fitting perfectly and allowing a full view of the clocks

Now time to make the horn work.
I prised out the contact ring from the rear of the original steering wheel and decided rather than wiring in a new horn that I would make the original fit.

Off to the man shed for some power tool time. First off the cancelling lug was removed

And the inside was dremelled out to 35MM i.d to fit the o.d of the new wheel.
This needs to be a snug fit so care was taken
The Audi wheel has a spring loaded nipple which contacts a ring on the cowl, pretty much the opposite of the T4 setup (why can't Ze Germans make it simple?)
Luckily the locating lug on the contact ring from the T4 fitted perfectly into the hole where the old contact used to be

A tip for anyone trying this is NOT to glue the ring on as if you do this you can't get to the Allen bolts to put the wheel back together. That is why it needs to be a slight interference fit onto the boss. I found chamfering the ring allowed it to slip on better but still held tight
Now i plugged in the spade connector on the inside of the wheel and refitted to the van, adjusted the ring slightly so that it was running true and not too close to the contact on the dash.

VOILA! One fully functioning steering wheel

Comments welcome and more updates to follow as and whenT:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i live in hemingfield mate, 2 mins from wombwell. When you moving back? Ill keep an eye out for ya in the van. Also, theres a run to wetherby saturday from the old post office if your interested. Should be a few goin
sometimes come through hemingfield and jump on my way back from work when i'm pickin the dogs up (mi mum dog sits durin the day!)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,902 Posts
Nice example of a classic there bud T: Whatever you do, dont get rid of the 3 piece grill or the small bumpers, i have a feeling they will come back into fashion and you will regret it. Stick some pictures on the Classic T4 thread T:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts