VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you all. :)

I have a T28 T5 2.5 TDI front wheel drive and my budget is max 600£. Having a hard time to decide what is the best solution in my price range for my van when looking for standard ride height new shocks and springs? :unsure: Looking for most sporty ride you can get with that money, not Mr. McBoaty ride.

Bilstein, sachs, kyb, etc... too many options? o_O

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Have you looked at Meyle ?
Might n
Be worth considering.
I like bilstein stuff , not tried sachs shocks and kyb are ok but nothing special.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody ever talk about meyle when talking about suspension, so no, I have not looked at meyle. Not that I don't like meyle, just didn't even occur to me. I hear so muc people saying bilstein, sachs, monroe and kyb that one of these muct be the way to go if you don't want to be the beta tester. I just want sporty like driving experience without lowering, if that even is possible with my price range? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I wouldn't bother changing the springs if you don't want to lower it tbh.
get firmer shocks yeah, save your money on springs and put it towards thicker ARB's as I think they will improve the handling

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sachs heavy duty...i tried bilstein before on my t4 and i wasnt impressed...went for sachs heavy duty shocks and eibac springs and never looked back. ARB are ok to stiffen up the ride altough they wont make much difference over a matched set of springs and shocks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is so confusing with all the options from every manufacturer with their products. All the different van options, T28, T30, T32, sport line... reinforced suspension, sport suspension... arrgh. :eek: Then there is color coding for springs, from which I can't find any sensible information. o_O The more I read the more confused I get. :whistle:

As far as I know only T32 has reinforced suspension, and there fore reinforced struts that can't physically fit into any other model, correct?

Since I have T28, and I want standard ride height, I can rule out any reinforced struts and lowering springs. So there is at least that? :unsure:

I wouldn't bother changing the springs if you don't want to lower it tbh.
get firmer shocks yeah, save your money on springs and put it towards thicker ARB's as I think they will improve the handling
Well, now I have cheap JOM coilovers and I'm looking to make the ride height stock so I don't have to mess with mot test every time I have to change in my suspension. Therefore I'm looking the best possible option in 600€ price range and while I would like to have it all, it seems that it is not possible because heavy duty ARB are almost the same price as whole new suspension. :cautious:

Sachs heavy duty...i tried bilstein before on my t4 and i wasnt impressed...went for sachs heavy duty shocks and eibac springs and never looked back. ARB are ok to stiffen up the ride altough they wont make much difference over a matched set of springs and shocks...
I've read numerous times about these heavy duty sachs and all I can find find for transporter T5 are 313 327 struts in front and 313 031 or 314 725 shocks in rear. So I'm guessing sachs HD is 314 725? Which seems odd since, when ever people are talking about sachs heavy duty shocks it means only the rear shocks since there are no other option for front other than 313 327 struts? Why not whole set like bilstein has with their b4, b6, b8, etc? :unsure: This is so confusing.

At the moment I'm leaning towards bilstein 22-140098 front + 19-264431 rear and eibach R10439 front + R10051 rear. Then there is R10208 which is 5mm shorter than R10051, which makes choosing more confusing than it has to be. How can you learn anything if even manufacturer is not revealing all the information?

·
Registered
864 Posts
A matched set o springs and shocks will give you grip- thats what you want on a road going vehicle. Arb's will limit body roll but will do jack to grip. Having/driving loads of sports 4 wheel drive audi's over the years i can tell you that best arb's will throw you in a ditch if the suspension is not up to scratch. On FWD audi a4 b7 its popular to change to rs4 rear ARB which makes the car more biased to the rear, front is almost the same across the whole range. Stiffer/thicker arb's will help the car loose grip in a fast bend...The same principle applies to aftermarket coilovers, due to the fact they have to work within a long suspension travel they will be mediocre- same as all season tyres. Now get a set of proper coilovers, ave the car corner weighted and they will do what they're supposed to do however many people think if its lower and looks better it does handle too which is wrong in so many cases !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ordered Bilstein shocks and eibach springs and the parts came today.

Now the question is, how much variance there should be between shocks? Because the other rear shocks is much more slower and a bit easier to push down than the other. See video below. Did I get defective shock straight from the factory? :unsure:

Bilstein 19-264431

1 - 9 of 9 Posts