VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 1998 2.5 Tdi Reimo Lucky camper. The front lower bushes on the shocks are deteriorated and need replacing, so I’m going to replace all 4 shocks.

Looking at options I just want a like for like shock, not looking to go lower, so nothing fancy.

The shocks fitted look to be a standard diameter tube, rather than the ‘fatter’ Sachs HD type, so am I correct that the ones fitted will just be OEM not anything specifically heavy duty? It’s a full camper so they need to be able to cope with the extra weight on board.

These Meyle gas ones available online look to be pretty good value, any advice or experience and will they be up to the job?

SET x 4 MEYLE Gas Front & Rear Shock Absorbers VW T4 Transporter Van & Caravelle https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151509466128

I had a set of Sachs Super HD’s on a few years ago and just found them too hard so won’t be going down that road.

Cheers, Si.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Actually, a "full camper" conversion requires less than a "Std" van.
I can out 1200kg in the back of my van.....there's no way a "camper" will weigh that much.
So....don't worry about the HD Shocks....
You want comfort over load ratings for shocks.

Also, not certain gas shocks should be your 1st choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Gaz. So oil filled would be better then? Any recommendations other than the Sachs units please?

Definitely looking for comfort over handling. Fast is not an option so getting round corners quickly is not a priority T:

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
£89 for 4 Meyle shocks scream Chinese quality. I put on the Sachs HD 3 years ago. Meyle used to be a good brand before and used by Mercedes...

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
The Sachs have a good reputation...I wish scruffytoo was still around!
He had them on his Multivan for over 15 years......again, NOT a heavy van, but he said they were the best.

It all comes down to what you are willing to pay, how long you expect them to last, and how much comfort you want.

I got a "kit" with lowered springs and shocks 10 years ago.....but if I ever need to replace the shocks, I'll be buying the Sachs HD ones.

"HD" does NOT mean they are "harder", it just means they will work better, for longer.T:

Maybe the "Sachs SUPER HD" are a lot harder....:*

I've a rear ARB fitted also....stops a LOT off roll from the rear end.....again, not cheap, but you don't need to donate a kidney to fit it.

As someone else pointed out....the "cheap" options are probably Chinese copies....and will last 6 months!
Ebay is not always "your friend"......:(

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Koni Reds on my T4.
Love them!
Australia......

Yeah, but you have to remember, OUR vans are the other way up! LOL:

Also, we try not to buy Russian parts.... (Reds) Rasp:

"Back in the days", Koni had a good reputation (when some cars were still using leather pads in an arm for damping!....eg my MGA....)
From recent internet posts, many people are not happy, especially with the adjustable ones.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went with Bilstein B4’s in the end. Happy as Larry with the result, as much as is possible in a van the thing actually goes round corners now and doesn’t roll around like a pirate ship in the wind!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I fitted an ARB too - and the difference really is amazing. I hoped it would improve the handling, but even so was surprised by how much of an improvement it made.

I am going to upgrade the shocks shortly, and useful to know the Bilstein's improve the handling. It seems like the B6 are the better option in terms of improving handling tho'....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts