VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of replacing the standard radio cassette on my w reg van with something a wee bit more modern (cd player with i pod connection) nothing to fancy cause i mostly listen to the radio,but you know how it is when your out on a run and cant get a signal on the radio :( av got one of them tape adaptor things that you connect your ipod with but their not the best. halfords have got a sony unit reduced down to £60,looks ok,anybody know if its a straight fit or would it need adaptor kits etc, cheers

·
Registered
483 Posts
shouldnt need special adaptors it will come with a cage that holds it but all very straight forward. just remember to swop the yellow and red wires on the power supplies or you will lose the memory on the cd player each time you remove the key. T:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The only adaptor you will need is for the aerial, but the radio may already come with this.*<:)>

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just changed mine over a few months back. Bought a Halfords special and it fitted fine. Although I do have to switch it off before I remove the key as it dumps the memory everytime. I have tried changing cables around but it left the speakers live. Even with key out?

So I may take to to someone who knows what they are doing as you do loose the ability to have it on without the key in for the 1 hr setting that the factory fit had and I do miss that. But get the one that has the cd player and a usb port for your Ipod as it keeps it charged as you drive.

It has a socket in port for other types but the usb powers the Ipod a treat.

Go for it I say T:

David

·
Registered
144 Posts
whats that about the red and yellow wires?, i'm fitting a new head unit tomorrow and the only reason i'm doing that is because the old one never stores the station when i take the key out so i need to avoid this happening again. dont suppose you can let us know what i need to do,

ta very much, rich.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There are two bullet connector wires going into your radio. Red and yellow, Pull them apart and swap the red and yellow wires.

Most VAG group cars are the opposite way about from convential wiring. This helps ensure a live feed for the memory, (storing stations).

·
Registered
144 Posts
thanks for that, i didnt know. is this the case if the head unit isnt a stock item? we'll see tomorrow when it goes in.
will probably be posting a few questions tomorrow i suspect.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Same thing with wires in my mk2 golf-was told to take front off every-time i wasn't using car-could this be an issue if i left front on?

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are two bullet connector wires going into your radio. Red and yellow, Pull them apart and swap the red and yellow wires.

Most VAG group cars are the opposite way about from convential wiring. This helps ensure a live feed for the memory, (storing stations).
Exactly what I had to do with my Pioneer head unit - works a treat.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I changed my wires over first and it did save the memory if I recall rightly, but it left a background hiss on the speakers. Even if the key is removed, the speakers remained live.

Any thoughts from anyone with the knowledge, I switched the connections back which cured the live speakers but means I have to swith off the head unit before removing the key....also for Ipod users you have to disconnect the usb plug from your Ipod or it looses memory even if you have powered down.

Its not a major hassle, but it is a niggle I would rather get over.

David A:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts