VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought myself a new T4 for a slow, long and hopefully cheap project. This is my 4th T4 over the past 8 years and by far the worst condition.... a proper all out project :)
Vans in the past have always been of a reasonable standard with nothing but my own stamp to add. This one is going to be totally from the ground up build/refurb.

1997 1.9td 171k on the clock, little or no service history, clicky right cv on full lock, oil leak from sump and multiple rot spots transporter..... I love it haha

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He took £1400 with 6 months tax, a set of original steels with the black VW center caps and let me take it away on his trade insurance, had to stop on the way home and top it up with oil (few leaks that I had already spotted), some people will probs think I paid over the odds but she pulls really well, with good breaks and susspension.

Needs a hell of a lot of work doing to it though but nothing I dont think I cant do myself, full service, CV joints, and some welding round the footwells but is the kind of project i was after. It has always been a Gardeners/builders van so really standard and un molestered. Totally the worst van I have ever owned but for £1400 I cant complain. The one I looked at on Saterday in Morecambe was a total shed LOL:

Just bought a complete servicing kit and coolant flush/fill from justkampers Bargain price of £90 delivered with Forum discount T: just need to give the engine bay a good clean and see exactly where its leaking (think its from the sump gasket and lower oil sensor) then I can change gaskets/seals and service it..... completely out of my comfort zone but there are some really good how to's on here that I fully intend on using

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys :)
Received my service pack in the post today, great service from justkampers. Should hopefully get round to cleaning the engine bay this weekend and plugging a few leaks then give it probably the first full service in about 3 yearsT:

Got a quote from a scrappys today for the drivers side 'A' Pillar..... FML £80....I told him I didn't want the glass with it LOL:
Its hard trying to concentrate on just getting her mechanically sound.... the diva in me keeps telling me to start building on the inside haha

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sucker for punishment eh? I:
If I had a space to put one,I'd do the exact same thing.
Good luck with her mate ;) Enjoy :ILU:
My blue van and pod goes this saturday. Was looking at it early thinking why the hell am I getting rid? Ive driven over Europe in it and know its 110% mechanically sound. The new one leaks.... struggles to start and smells of old gardens.... sucker for it indeed lol

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6hrs of cleaning including full oil drop and service (fuel filters etc) and not even finished, need to do the sump and de rust/paint most areas, repacked cv joints with grease and fixed the oil sensors and alternator cables. Running alot smoother and sounding healthier already :)
Flushing coolant and radiator on friday ;)
BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.Dont know if anybody actually reads these but I like writing anyway... will act as an amazing service history for my van in years to come. Plus im a complete engine amateur. Soo box of goodies arrived from JK today so set about flushing my coolant and changing my waterpump, thermostat and belts (on my drive with no ramps or jack ;) )

Had a few snags getting at bolts so had to remove the alternator (really easy, in no way worried about changing an alternator ever)

Old coolant was water and rust so proper flushed the system 3 times until clear water was running from the bleed points and radiator. Removed the header filler tank which is now soaking in coke over night (Aparently cleans it right up)

Took one look at the allan bolts on the fly wheel and have left them to soak in WD40 over night will hopfully remove and replace them when I put it all back together tomorrow :)

lets see how tomorrow goes eh

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another great few hours of productivity. Fitted the new water pump, cleaned the alternator and filled her up with coolant. Nice pink coolant :) not doing anything else today. Might do the door step tomorrow... who knows ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another great few hours of productivity. Fitted the new water pump, cleaned the alternator and filled her up with coolant. Nice pink coolant :) not doing anything else today. Might do the door step tomorrow... who knows ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.