VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive posted in introductions to say hi, but im needing opinions/advice quite quickly, so sorry if i seem like an ignorant newbie its not intentional.

Im in a position very soon to pick up a T4 2.5tdi 2001, 168k, LWB, with night heater, aircon, 9 seats, no rust at all, and a fantastic job list done.

It dropped a valve so he had engine rebuilt, and i know the van well, and this work to be true as i recommended the mechanic £1200

new aircon system in entirity (chap was fussy) £412

New clutch and heavy duty flywheel from VW £900 ish

New belts, tensioner pump etc etc, and dynamic timing set.

I just want to know before i take the plunge, are these prone to any common faults? Anything i need to watch for, or work that i could do as a preventative????

Im a longtime vw owner and scene follower, I have started to mature haha and really fancy one of these, then this one came up and as I know the car im very very tempted.

Thanks for your time chaps, hope i can contribute to forum as i have extensive vw mechanical knowledge, mainly the 1,9 tdi, but i learn quick;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 2.5 is basically a 1.9 tdi with an extra cylinder and are pretty much bomb proof if maintained properly, the van you are looking at seems to have had all the expensive stuff done already so if I were you I would get it boughtT:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, I have an ALH golf estate currently on 283k miles and still going strong
we have a 3rd child on the way and family members with no licenses etc.

Used this bus a while ago to do alot of ferrying items around the country, did 1345 miles that day and wanted it from that day on. She returned 41mpg which shocked me really, making me think its actually an affordable work daily too.

Thanks for that mate, just wanted to clarify some things before handing over some cash, it drives like new and extremely easy, love it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and im giving £3000 for it, 2001, 168k miles - hows this on price? cant seem to find lwb cheaper that year

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver including a 65 mile work commute and it hasn't missed a beat in the last two years, its so much more practical than a car especially when camping and the kids love it.:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks this has put my mind at rest, never owned something that lugs as much weight around so wanted to make sure.

Have to say its very car like to drive and on the motorway cruises beautifully, its been custom mapped to 115bhp and 297ftlbs (hence the heavy duty flywheel) im assuming a map to 115 means it was likely an 88 to start with?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like his plans have changed (or he realised its true value) and he has stiffed me.

So im on the look out now for a 7-9 seater short or long wb, 2.4 diesel, ill be looking to spend about £3000, needs to have little or no rust, and be mechanically sound, dont mind if it needs tidying up a little.

If anythings about let me know please, ill be ready to buy in about 3 weeks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hope so, itll need to be a quick transition when the vehicle im selling gets picked up in a couple weeks.

Small part of me wants an old reliable rat bag too.

Whilst on the subject, which engines of the available, would you say is most likely to be reliable?

·
Registered
254 Posts
sounds like a nightmare :eek: the van we have just got took 10 months to finally arrive, I'll be honest I just about gave up a few times but then, all of a sudden (ahem) pow its there
basically, dont give up T:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
nah hes not on any forums haha, but think he just regretting decision cos of the money he ploughed into it. I am very annoyed though.

what do you think of this one, looks minted
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/caravelle-2500cc-TDi-NEBIOS-BLUE-tax-mot-stunner-vw-volkswagen/171100299692?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=16581&meid=800169567089247212&pid=100033&prg=7839&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=251321313337&
not a caravele is a window van /kombi taxi convertion...I bought last month a 1997 caravelle from your part of world paid £1318..drove it 630 miles home no probs..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where from???? The only one im seeing at that money is a k reg tatty scrapper with a cracked windscreen, no mot or tax.

See what I can find, but if anyone sees anything, drop me a pm or link to the thread id be gratefull

1 - 20 of 34 Posts