VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,904 Posts
Plenty of banter on the forum if you venture into other sections.
That's the "thing" Pete.....
I own a T4, and that's the forum I use.
I don't want to poke my nose into any other sections, especially when the only thing I know about a T5 is that I had one in my drive for 2 weeks, and would never have another one.

It's OK for former T4 owners to post in T4 Forum, but why should someone who tried, and failed, with a T5, to post where they don't belong?

Oh, and all my posts come from a PC with 3 screens.....SWMBO is sat at the side of me most times....
Vacuum cleaning is MY job.....I was told so!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Its all down to pink and blue jobs. In our house we have pink and blue, pink is things like cooking and ironing. I cant cook so dont, I have no clue how an iron works but then on the other hand, she dont know where the lawn mower is and even if she did find it there is no way that she could start it and if the car needs a service, I certainly wouldnt expect her to get down and help. Hence the pink and blue jobs.
Now to hovering out the van, its a sticky one!! Van has engine making it a prominent blue job but the vacuum cleaner……that is a pink tool 😎

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,904 Posts
Haha...
I'm colour-blind....so pink and blue?

I cook....every day. (Actually enjoy it.)

I bought her an electric start mower..gardening is HER work. (Also battery strimmer/hedge clipper/etc....I charge the batteries for her...also make sure the mower has fuel and oil.)
Hoovering....depends upon where (we have a HAIRY Tibetan Terrier, 12" long hairs, but I do the house sometimes ..Hate doing the stairs!,) I do MY van, she's NEVER done either of her 2 cars in 15 years!
Ironing.....neither of us do it!

Mechanical stuff is MY job....so is building anything in stone/metal/wood
PAINTING any of that is her job.

So is going to work...she's doing nights now...12 hour shifts as a nurse in a care home.....I just "sit here and do bugger-all" if I get chance, o_O

Like "passing-ships-in-the-night"....
She goes to work 7pm, comes home 8am...I'm still in bed.
I get up 9....do my "work", she gets up 5pm, I have dinner ready for 6, an hour later, off she goes.
That last about 4-5 days, and then she has days off.....and can actually see how little I do.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
If anyone’s curious about the weight issue.

If this is a standard 20litre Jerry-can then as each litre of diesel weighs 0.8kg (at sea-level Or_GazM), you’re looking at 16Kg + 4Kg can itself.

(That’s 44lb or just over 3 stone in old-money.)

This will be resting on the back door off-centre and at about 1 metre from the hinges, so I’m guessing OP that you may need to rethink this addition.

Have you fitted one before to an earlier vehicle and found it to be OK? - I can see it just about working on barn-doors but not a tailgate.

(BTW: Sea-level does not include any adjustment for the inevitable impact of Global Warming)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Jerry can is an interesting addition. I assume you’ve filled it up and checked how it feels opening the tailgate with the extra weight?
I’ve just ordered updated struts to cope with the extra weight. But it’s not going to be filled…well unless I fill it with beer and add a tap at the bottom! 🤣

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If anyone’s curious about the weight issue.

If this is a standard 20litre Jerry-can then as each litre of diesel weighs 0.8kg (at sea-level Or_GazM), you’re looking at 16Kg + 4Kg can itself.

(That’s 44lb or just over 3 stone in old-money.)

This will be resting on the back door off-centre and at about 1 metre from the hinges, so I’m guessing OP that you may need to rethink this addition.

Have you fitted one before to an earlier vehicle and found it to be OK? - I can see it just about working on barn-doors but not a tailgate.

(BTW: Sea-level does not include any adjustment for the inevitable impact of Global Warming)
It’s not going to be filled with anything so 4kg with updated struts shouldn’t put that much extra strain on the hinges. And yes had one on my T2 and T25 with no issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That looks super tidy! Quick question, how will you/did you secure it in place? My winter project is to convert my empty shell, I have a half bulk head and I am unsure if I should remove it or use it for secure attachment to the cupboards.
Cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice. Quick question - have you considered how to keep the doors shut when driving? You pull away spiritedly from a traffic light and everything in that is going to end up by the tailgate!

When I installed my fridge I missed out the lock and ended up with 12 cans of Strongbow rolling around the car park, 4 of which had split open and were spraying themselves everywhere. A passing old man lent us his cane to retrieve the ones under the middle of the van. Looking back at it it's funny, but not at the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
That looks super tidy! Quick question, how will you/did you secure it in place? My winter project is to convert my empty shell, I have a half bulk head and I am unsure if I should remove it or use it for secure attachment to the cupboards.
Cheers
Unit has been bolted through the floor in several places. Had considered a cross bar to secure either side but it’s pretty study as it’s a pre-made unit and very sturdy bit will see how things go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nice. Quick question - have you considered how to keep the doors shut when driving? You pull away spiritedly from a traffic light and everything in that is going to end up by the tailgate!

When I installed my fridge I missed out the lock and ended up with 12 cans of Strongbow rolling around the car park, 4 of which had split open and were spraying themselves everywhere. A passing old man lent us his cane to retrieve the ones under the middle of the van. Looking back at it it's funny, but not at the time.
The doors are just held shut with magnets and are doing a sterling job….the drawer is another matter and happily opens and closes as it sees fit. Have a temporary remedy of a folded piece of paper!!! Will change at some point after all my cutlery has been launched around the van a few times! 🤦🏻‍♂️

21 - 40 of 82 Posts