VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. An awareness that I would have to drive a Kombi has been growing over the last 3 years. I am 2m tall and with 3 sons aiming for the same height it became a necessity. My father drove 2 kombis (a 2.1 and 2.5l in the 80's). His reply when asking him why was the same. We were 2 girls and one boy, and the worst scoldings we got were after long trips - fighting in the back of the Merc. In the Kombi there was peace: my 2 sisters occupied the middle row, with the back row for myself.

So here we are: 2011 VW T5 Kombi - SWB 2l / 75Kw with 30000km purchased recently. Of course it needs some modifications:
- plastic vinyl to protect the rear bumper from scuff marks - children are merciless
- rubber strips on the vertical edges of drivers doors to prevent damage to my and other cars. Small children don't always have the wisdom or strength to control door opening and with the Cape southeaster you have to be vigilant when opening doors - especially in tight spaces
- fitting an additional 12V cigarette power point. The standard one is always on which makes the permanent operation of a Garmin GPS a chore
- fitting a cruise control unit - a must for long distance driving. After a fruitless South African search a UK firm - Teesside VW (not the agents) specializing in original parts) helped with a DIY kit. I have not received it yet but am looking forward to installing.
- Fitting a RustStop Unit: larger vehicles are known to rust easily. I have been installing them on vehicles since 1995 (I am a parttime dealer) and they help to reduce rust with 76%. A worthwhile investment then.
- Park distance control - seems like a must on a large vehicle like this

I am keen to research the differences between the 75kw and 103kw versions. It is the same engine in essence - wonder if the 75kw version can make more power without risk?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
welcome, lower engine is just a downtuned version- dont know if more reliable, but do know you can remap the lower to the upper for better performance

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome, lower engine is just a downtuned version- dont know if more reliable, but do know you can remap the lower to the upper for better performance
Thanks. Good to hear that the 75kw is a downtuned version of the 103kw version. Wonder if a VW certified remap is possible to retain the factory guarantee?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts