VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a gamble on a high mileage LWB Shuttle as it was cheap.

It was cheap for a reason!

It smokes a little.

So, strip down time.

I'm doing the wrenching and a friend is going ing to inspect the "rebuilt" head and try to figure out what's wrong with it. Suspect injector settings.

It's supposed to have had a new cam and lifters and as is common knowledge this was probably caused by infrequent oil changes with the wrong oil.
It has an impressive amount of sludge build up. I've cleaned the rocker cover already but the inlet manifold is soaking to try and free up this!

If anyone feels like saving a few quid on oil and stretching out the service intervals be warned.

The van has lots of other little trim, window and paint issues plus it's missing a front caliper and a rear caliper carrier!!! But it's all minor stuff and once the brakes are fully overhauled (replaced) everything else will be sorted slow time.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

I'll keep you posted with what we find and how we fix it.

Cheers

Phil & Kate and family.

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
That's a normal condition for a inlet manifold with the egr still working and not deleted... My injectors are coming out tomorrow so your pictures have reminded me why the 2.5 is a pain in the a##e. Still like it though and can't wait toll its back on the road again :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to fit some egr blanks upon rebuild I think.

I've never worked on a T5 before so this is all new to me.
I'll be very familiar with it before I even drive it!

We're going to get the alternator tested while its accessible, which bolts do I need to undo to get it out and off the device that's driving it?

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
I'm going to fit some egr blanks upon rebuild I think.

I've never worked on a T5 before so this is all new to me.
I'll be very familiar with it before I even drive it!

We're going to get the alternator tested while its accessible, which bolts do I need to undo to get it out and off the device that's driving it?
No idea without looking at elswin..that the one thing I haven't touched yet. I haven't even done me gates couplings as back in December they seemed fine I:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I took off all the Taxi stickers and associated glue and cleaned and straightened the fuel filler cap. Bent by someone who didn't know how to open it!
I jet washed all the gunk out of the inlet manifold.
I tried to remove the broken screws from the wing mirror but had to drill out the holes and will fill them with something and re-tap them. Some sort of metal glue. They don't take any weight.
A snapped off rocker cover bolt came undone easily when I pushed it round with a screw driver so that's a bonus, just need to find a replacement.
Scrapped off a lot of old dry Duct tape glue that had been used to seal the broken sliding window, both sides!
Hoovered all the mud and dirt out the boot.
Removed a broken heater vent from the dash board, hopefully find one in the scrapyards somewhere.

Need to buy:
1. Brake hoses.
2. Rear Caliper carrier.
3. Rear discs and pads plus associated bolts and sliders.
4. Front caliper and associated bolts and sliders.
5. Front discs and pads.
6. Front OS wheel arch liner and under tray to the rear of that.
7. Tyres x4.
8. Clips to hold C pillar trim on.
9. Rear wiper and arm.
10. Seat belt clip covers x2.
11. Any bits missing from sliding windows.
12. NS Dash air vent.
13. All NS wing mirror trim and glass.
14. OS wing mirror surround.
15. Service kit. Oil (7.5litres), oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, brake fluid, antifreeze, power steering fluid.
16. Anything the engine needs to work.
17. Remove and test Alternator while vehicle is stripped. (Pray it doesn't need a Gates coupling.)
18. Repair/replace Turbo hose.
19. Rocker cover bolt.
20. Re-gas Aircon.

Hope it still proves to be cheap after all this work!

This is the good side, yes the side with the dented boot lid is the good side.
;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turned the engine over and checked the gaps on all the injectors this evening.
They weren't all the same but they weren't miles out. Nothing to indicate the cause of the smoking.
We've now removed the rocker rail and pulled all the injectors. They are all 2nd hand. Going to take them to be tested and pray they aren't all duff.
New ones aren't going to be cheap I'd imagine.
Anyone bought injectors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I ordered the last two missing parts to sort the rear brakes, caliper carrier bolts.

I dropped the injectors off at the company that will be testing them, they were astonished to see the writing on the injectors done by the dealer that sold them as they had written all over the 5 micron holes that the diesel flows through on its way to the injector nozzle.
They sell the seal kit at half the main dealer price. I will find out if they are duff or just need seals. My fingers are crossed.

Is there anyone in Cornwall that breaks T5's?

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, my first keyboard activity to say hello - and also congratulate you on the super forum you have here, loads of information on many subjects - when I figure out how to ask a question / post a post!! It will be on "Switch Mode Battery Charger" sticky switch problems !!! For now, I'll carry on familiarising myself with all aspect of this forum ;-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello to you up there^^^^^ :confused: lol

The T5 needs some engine work and this currently involves having the injectors tested and I've discovered that the handy writing some one wrote on the injectors in our van actually covers the very tiny inlet holes on the side of the injector.
He is one with writing one it and you can see the tiny holes, many of which are blocked with white ink.

Sorry about the focus, you can just see it.

Here is a better shot that also shows the state of the o-rings on our injectors.

So if you need to go and buy new injectors for your van I'd avoid buying them from a breaker that has written all over them as the cost of stripping and cleaning these injectors is about £195 each!

Apparently they are reasonable tough units and rarely fail but if you need new ones VW will charge you £550 each on an exchange basis and £23 for a seal kit each but a Bosch dealer only charges £11 for the seal kits each.

Mine are going in an unltra sonic bath to remove the ink and clean the business end of them, then they will be tested, fresh seals and hopefully it'll be all good. Fingers crossed if any are bad it's only one!

Need a macro camera!

Look after your fuel filter and it should look after your injectors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The injectors are in the ultrasonic bath.

The amount of white stuff, which I'm guessing is ink, that came out of them is amazing!

Tempted to skip the testing phase and just fit fresh seals and fire it up again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the five injectors was over 25% down on performance so it's being rebuilt and five new seal kits are coming.
Ordered new bolts to hold the injectors in and new bolts to hold the rockers in plus a new injector loom.
Fingers crossed!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts