VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a 150k mile, t5 84bhp van on a 14 plate as a project. I know it needs work and I got it cheap. I have only driven it on the test drive and then had it delivered as I want to do work on it before I insure it and use it. When I started it tonight from cold there was a rattle or knocking noise from underneath that goes when I dip the clutch. I have read about clutch and dmf failures so could mine be on its way out? I didnt notice any judder when driving but as I say it was a short drive. It was not like a clutch release bearing noise which is a regular rattle in my expereince but morelike a knocking. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I would agree with BitterandTwisted, but if it were me I'd get the clutch sorted sooner rather than later. At 150,000 miles you've had your money's worth, (or at least someone has !!).
You could be lucky & get another two years out of it, but it could also disintegrate tomorrow & damage something, that depends on many things such as your style of driving, how knackered it really is & if "Him upstairs" is smiling at you !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent decided if I keep this project when its done or sell it, not having really driven and used it I have yet to see how it appeals really.Either way I would tell the buyer about the issue as I am far too honest, or I would have it done and have evidence of that. I think if its on its way I will probably have it done, particularly as i am hoping to have a remap. Its off to my mates garage soon so should find out then. I need to go and visit someone who lives not so far who has a kombi as I cant find out how to tip my nearside rear seat. I think its broken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts