VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our my first VW van after a lot of time in smaller VW Diesels, so I'm short of a full set of manuals and, given this is a 2008 with a fair few miles on it, I'm hunting and solving issues at the moment. However this has left me a bit stuck.. Essentially with or without the clutch down, the gear stick doesn't recentre nicely, I figured I'd take a look to see if there was any gunk/corrosion/stuff elements down from the stick to the linkages and down in the first instance, and go through the various threads on here where people have had similar issues.

I couldn't find an obvious issue on the cab side, and so looking under the bonnet at the linkages (and just seeing how they move when gears are changed) and comparing them to photos of other 2.5l 6 speed manuals, I noted that there is a hole (dead centre of the image below, left of the linkages) that appears to have a companion hole below it, but no bolt through it. In fact the entire plate that the linkages are on seems to more a fair amount...

If I hold the two holes in line (engine off obviously..) in place the stick appears to recentre more regularly and there is less movement across that entire lower section. However absent a diagram to indicate what is supposed to be there, or a decent photo of the linkages from above I'm a bit stuck as to whether it's relevant.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Anyway, if anyone could point me at either a decent source for the manuals with nice explodey views, or anything I should be looking at with this issue I'd appreciate it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the VW factory documentation for the T5 is available here: ErWin.
Thanks, I already had an erwin account but wasn't too impressed with my previous VW's, well with the electrics anyway as they didn't seem to include RHD/LHD changes and it was a bit of a **** take. I've also just ordered the Haynes manual given that most of the complaints about that seem to be that it focuses too much on the 2.5l 6 speed..

·
Registered
304 Posts
lack of re-centering is classic VW linkage problem. The linkage pin housing corrodes (alu I think) and fouls the pin. lots of guides online. pop the linkage out, file the housing, bit of lube, re-assemble

1 - 4 of 4 Posts