VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys after finally admitting I cannot keep my bay and enjoy VW driving / camping as I want to I've bought my first T4 1998 2.5 TDI drove it home today now have glow plug light intermittent flashing ! Thought possibly something to do with back/ brake lights as van starts/ drives no probs no smoke. In fact lovely drive, in love with new van! Has anyone come accross this before? Also looking for decent garage for regular advice and maintainence in North West Lancashire . Any help gratefully received ! T2 currently up for grabs on eBay if anyone interested!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi.

I had the very same issue, previous owner had the brake light switch replaced which didnt cure it, when i started looking into it i found a fuse blown (dont remember which number sorry, i always pull and check each fuse one by one on new to me 2nd hand vehicles anyway) that fuse was for the reversing lights and also cruise control ! a light went on in my head and checking i found that even if you dont have cruise fitted you should have a switch on the clutch pedal as well as the brake pedal. When i code read the van i got a code saying "brake light switch signal implausible" a bit missleading as what was happening was this, the reversing light switch (on top of gearbox) had a faulty connection which was blowing the fuse, so then van thinks cruise control is faulty and as clutch switch and brake switch are wired together it put the coil light on flashing and gave me a fault for the brake switch !
I hope i explained that ok ?
Check on the forum for a repair for the brake switch, it could still be the switch just in my case it wasnt, if that doesnt cure it check your reversing lights, check both switches clutch and brake are ok and check connections at reversing light switch on gearbox.
Maybe buy yourself a cheap code reader useful for putting you onto the right kind of area for faults.
Good luck.

Steve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Steve

Thanks for all the info very useful. Going to have a thorough check of everything. Bizarrely the light has now not come on once since, except for usual second on sort up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts