VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys, how's tricks?
Just wanted to show my face and say hello.
I'm new to the VW craze, I currently don't own one but in the last year have seriously been thinking of getting one.
I have now made my mind up that I want to get a T4 lwb and eventually have it kitted out in to being a surf van, I am on a tight budget so it's going to take a while to finish.
If anyone can shed any light on steps to take, or parts of this forum I need to be reading then I'd much appreciate it.
I think first things first is to get me a van

Cheers

·
taking too long to build van2
1,420 Posts
Hey lad, welcome,
Deffo take your time looking for vans and viewing adverts - (there are a few scams out there) The T4 wiki page gives you the basic detail on all the variants/ LWB typically come in 2.4cc or 2.5tdi with the occasional rare syncro. Everyone will argue the pros and cons of both - personally I feel that the 1.9D outperforms the 2.4D and I'm not event going to talk about petrols!! ;) but thats my view!

Read up on the detail, watch and read the forum adds + what things are going for on ebay/autotrader etc. and you'll get an idea of general pricing. not that it means much as a good price is whatever you are happy to pay. Its subjective and all that!

Key things to check on vans:
Common rust spots - Windscreen surround rust, footwells, lower B-piller, lower doors(All) sills arches etc.
1.9D's are bullet proof and super easy to maintain but lack omph compared to the 2.5's
1.9TD are much the same
2.4D - solid but for all the size and consumption tend to be slightly lacking
2.5tdi great power very smooth + associated issues with the more complicated engine.

Subscription is the best £10 you'll ever spend. It'll open up all the Tech articles and guides combined that with all the help and advice from the community you'll be rocking up in your in no time :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
Thanks for the good advice PapaW, I'll take all that on board.
I think the best thing I've done so far is sign up to this forum so it's just a case of browsing round it now and will most prob pay the £10 for the subscription.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts