VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone, Im new to the whole VW van following and im looking to buy my first and do some kind of home camper conversion.....Basically after a few hints and tips about buying a T5. What is the best van to lookout for? LWB or SWB? 1.9 or 2.5? Is mileage an issue or is high mileage ok as long as its been serviced annually?. Also ive seen some vans with sliding doors on both sides. is there any advantage or disadvantage to having twin side doors on a camper?..... I know these are questions that have probably been asked before and im sure i may have many more......looking forward the challenge of a camper conversion so all help will be greatfully received.

Cheers Mark

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Depends if your after a bit of torque to pull a heavy loaded up camper etc or the fuel effiency side ?

The 2.5 has more power generaly but around town obv not so great , and the 1.9 is going to be better around and on a run to a point !
Saying this I find my 2.5 200 HP 6speed on a run fully loaded is pretty good up and down hills to southern France ! T:

Milaege isn't always an issue but most people would prob say that lower the better ( in most cases )
As for sliding doors both sides , depends on what sort of inside layout you go for ? Can be good , but also not so if you go down normal one side with cab,sink and cooker route ?

Prob a long wheel base for extra room if your going camper direction , lots of info on here and if not as your in the new Forrest , get yourself along to a meet ( check dates in hants meets ) and you can have a look at our vans and the strange people that drive these vehicles , mod these vehicles and generally spend far too much time and money on them ? I:I:

Happy hunting and don't rush into anything without making sure you know what you want ? T:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts