VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. It delights me to once again own something that there is forums for.

I have bought a direct from Germany Multivan Highline 2004. One owner, all the service history. Drives nice, everything works. Its had all its fluids and filters changed. Nothing is broken, Except one sliding door, but I will do that in another post. I am quite mechanically minded but I have no manual and no idea howa lot of this thing works.
It has a leisure battery, what does that run?
It has a factory heater.... how does that work (it apparently does indeed work)
It sounds smooth, pulls well and runs nicely. However, to me, it sounds 'throaty' when I poke it. Is that a normal t5 thing or is there an exhaust leak?
Does anyone have a manual?
Does anyone here use a carly or simelar obd reader? Expereinces? Apps?

I leave it at that. I am going to make a video of the sliding door..... its a bit odd. I think the sensors are working.

Heres a photo of it. Day after I took ownership we embarked on a 2000 km trip to the south of france..... no fear!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Welcome aboard, looks a great camper you've got there (y)

It might help if you post a pic of the button (s) that you're not sure control, I've not got the traditional conversion so won't be of much use, but there are plenty of knowledgeable folk on here that will have similar set ups.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum - sounds like a great van you've got yourself.
What engine does it have? I'm guessing it's the 5 cylinder 2.5 if it's a Multivan rather than the 1.9 more commonly found in the panelvans etc. Or is it petrol? In which case I've no idea what they sounds like as I've never had the joys of hearing one! 😁
The 2.5's sound pretty good though when they're driven a bit harder with plenty of torque and power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum - sounds like a great van you've got yourself.
What engine does it have? I'm guessing it's the 5 cylinder 2.5 if it's a Multivan rather than the 1.9 more commonly found in the panelvans etc. Or is it petrol? In which case I've no idea what they sounds like as I've never had the joys of hearing one! 😁
The 2.5's sound pretty good though when they're driven a bit harder with plenty of torque and power.
Hi, thanks for the welcome! Yes its the 5 cyl 2.5 174bhp. It goes link stink. It does sound good. Just a bit throaty is really the only way I can describe it.Not at all rattly or anything.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Or is it petrol? In which case I've no idea what they sounds like as I've never had the joys of hearing one! 😁
I can help with that if you like.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! Yes its the 5 cyl 2.5 174bhp. It goes link stink. It does sound good. Just a bit throaty is really the only way I can describe it.Not at all rattly or anything.
I have a 3.2 petrol and was told the exhaust from cat back is the same. At wider throttle opening, this is also throaty. Silent when cruising, which I expect your is too.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I've got a 2.5 130 and I can tell you what it shouldn't sound like with my luck with the van😂
It's a loud idle for mine, sounds like a tractor which is normal as it's a 5 cylinder.
It shouldn't be thumping, it's a noise coming through the airbox which means somethings gone wrong!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What kinda bhp is the 3.2 poffer? Sounds like it should go like stink (if a little thirsty!). Must be a pretty rare beast.
It around 235 bhp I think. A few less than the Golf R32 as it has a different inlet manifold. It goes really well and not too bad on fuel - it uses a lot less fuel than I expected. Stupid quick for a van on motorways.

Only a few around. Less than a couple of hundred I think. This one took a year to find.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Presumably you could get some easy power mods for it, based on the R32 engine then perhaps?
Modifications to normally aspirated petrol engines are actually quite costly, as there is nothing to “remap”. Normal tuning is higher compression, different cam timing and free flowing exhaust. I doubt anyone makes a sports cam, no way most people will strip and replace pistons, so that leaves exhaust which would probably only give 10-15 bhp. Not really worth the bother, especially as the engine is pretty good as is.
There is a supercharger kit for golfs that is probably £2500 and someone on here from France (called Mars?) fitted one to his T5 3.2 and it was a flier. A turbo kit would be better (more economical) but no one makes one to my knowledge. Quick enough as standard to raise a grin and zero upgrade cost.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Now a supercharger sounds immense!! Just for that noise and immediate power response.
Have a look at post #17 here - looks like Mars got 380bhp at the wheels 😲 May need to stop dreaming now, as I think we have hijacked op’s thread. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Now a supercharger sounds immense!! Just for that noise and immediate power response.
Remember years ago, Renault (iirc) brought out a hot hatch that you could adjust the exhaust tone which played through the speakers, just thinking as you accelerate in the van, use a slide whistle to replicate the sound of the supercharger (only in one direction obviously) :geek: I know smart right! Then put a drummers symbol on your passenger seat and as you let off the throttle give it a whack, did someone say dump valve? (y)

Right my work here is done, off to help others with my smartness, maybe I'll advise @Soundz about his electrical set up :LOL:

Reactions: Streaky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have a look at post #17 here - looks like Mars got 380bhp at the wheels 😲 May need to stop dreaming now, as I think we have hijacked op’s thread. Sorry.

I enjoy a post hijack. I was tempted by a VR6 one from Poland but this one won me over.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Remember years ago, Renault (iirc) brought out a hot hatch that you could adjust the exhaust tone which played through the speakers, just thinking as you accelerate in the van, use a slide whistle to replicate the sound of the supercharger (only in one direction obviously) :geek: I know smart right! Then put a drummers symbol on your passenger seat and as you let off the throttle give it a whack, did someone say dump valve? (y)

Right my work here is done, off to help others with my smartness, maybe I'll advise @Soundz about his electrical set up :LOL:

you should bro I might get fried soon ;) ......wots a drummer symbol bro............with care you answer my friend .great care🤣

TBF i'm good with Will's advice mine sounds like a ruddy tractor too sure it pulls like hell an for an old bus amazes me .but yeah sounds like a tractor.....ha and fits right in for a country boy

Tom warmest of welcomes.......please forgive 'em mate they are wayward souls:D

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
you should bro I might get fried soon ;) ......wots a drummer symbol bro............with care you answer my friend .great care🤣
I'm a rock guy Stu so appreciate the drummers of the world as much as the other musicians 🤘Plus, and possibly more importantly, I know you're a drummer and so I wouldn't want to make a joke and offend, else you might start feeding me duff info on electrics...and I would never know, that is until I go to switch on the tv in the van and my horn sounds 🤣

1 - 20 of 20 Posts