VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Or is it petrol? In which case I've no idea what they sounds like as I've never had the joys of hearing one! 馃榿
I can help with that if you like.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! Yes its the 5 cyl 2.5 174bhp. It goes link stink. It does sound good. Just a bit throaty is really the only way I can describe it.Not at all rattly or anything.
I have a 3.2 petrol and was told the exhaust from cat back is the same. At wider throttle opening, this is also throaty. Silent when cruising, which I expect your is too.

Registered
What kinda bhp is the 3.2 poffer? Sounds like it should go like stink (if a little thirsty!). Must be a pretty rare beast.
It around 235 bhp I think. A few less than the Golf R32 as it has a different inlet manifold. It goes really well and not too bad on fuel - it uses a lot less fuel than I expected. Stupid quick for a van on motorways.

Only a few around. Less than a couple of hundred I think. This one took a year to find.

Registered
Presumably you could get some easy power mods for it, based on the R32 engine then perhaps?
Modifications to normally aspirated petrol engines are actually quite costly, as there is nothing to 鈥渞emap鈥. Normal tuning is higher compression, different cam timing and free flowing exhaust. I doubt anyone makes a sports cam, no way most people will strip and replace pistons, so that leaves exhaust which would probably only give 10-15 bhp. Not really worth the bother, especially as the engine is pretty good as is.
There is a supercharger kit for golfs that is probably 拢2500 and someone on here from France (called Mars?) fitted one to his T5 3.2 and it was a flier. A turbo kit would be better (more economical) but no one makes one to my knowledge. Quick enough as standard to raise a grin and zero upgrade cost.

Registered
Now a supercharger sounds immense!! Just for that noise and immediate power response.
Have a look at post #17 here - looks like Mars got 380bhp at the wheels 馃槻 May need to stop dreaming now, as I think we have hijacked op鈥檚 thread. Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts