VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just got as new velle a few weeks ago. NBot a lot wrong with it, but i have a couple of small electrical niggles.

Its a Dec 98 2.5tdi velle

NS electric window doesn't work. drivers side works, but nothing from the passenger side. I took the door card off and when i press the switch on either the driver or passenger door, i can hear a soft click, then again a second or two later, (sounds like a relay click) I am pretty sure power is getting to the motor but i have a suspicion the motor may be fritzed. Whats the best way of confirming this as it looks like electric window motors are reasonably pricey.

Although I bought it from a dealer i found some stuff in the car and returned it to the previous owner, when i spoke to them, they confirmed the window had only been working intermittently which made me think maybe its not the motor. As you can tell from the above my electrical experience is pretty basic... Any ideas?

Secondly I have one of the older keyfobs (before the flick action key) it has a blipper on it but the battery was dead, and so i thought replacing it would fix that problem, but the bus remains locked if you press the fobeven though the red dot on the key lights up. The central locking works fine on all doors just not with the remote. Does anyone know where the remote sensor is? I am guessing it is only a simple lock/immobiliser option.

last niggle. I was getting poor radio reception and i noticed that the small button that i guess is the windscreen aerial connector on the windscreen was wonky, well it was basically loose. and is now not connected at all is this easily enough replaced?

John R
(JAR)

·
Registered
582 Posts
The electric window motors have two wires going to them. Both wires are at ground potential when at rest. If you press the window up button, one of these wires switches to 12v potential whilst the other stays at ground. The opposite wire becomes at 12v potential when the down button is pressed. The circuit is pretty basic in operation, so with a simple test lead/voltmeter or multi-meter, you should be able to work out what issues you have.

Obviously one way to prove the motor is to give it a 12v supply direct. This will prove the operation of the motor but I would suggest you use a fused lead for protection purposes. a common fault is often the wiring going to the motors as it bends in the door hinge area. The cables are contained within a rubber flexible conduit that some refer to on here as the bellows. If you don't have a switched supply voltage at the motor, this might be a place worth investigating on each of the two front doors.

·
Registered
334 Posts
you can re-sync the remote to the car following the owners manual(or the details are on here somewhere) it should then work once re-synced.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys.

The Passenger electric window has just started working after it came back from the garage. oddly it was in for an autobox repair so why the electric windows started working afterwards i will never know :) wires in the bellows seem ok (I had this exact problem with my last velle)

As to the remote. I actually found the instructions on re-syncing the remote on here yesterday, and tried it, whilst i got a 5 flash "confirmation" from the key fob, it still doesnt operate the central locking, but i think i may be on the right track.

I couldnt find the instructions in the manual, it doesnt mention remote control on the keyfob at all.

will keep digging!

JOhn R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts