VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i'm just filling out the declaration of conversion by vehicle owner form . On the form you have to fill out a setion that i'm having difficulty filling out, perhaps some one can help me :) mine is a 1994 Caravelle anyone have any idea what the eu bodywork is ?
The mass is service ? Technically permissible maximum laden mass ? Any help appreciated T:

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
i'm just filling out the declaration of conversion by vehicle owner form . On the form you have to fill out a setion that i'm having difficulty filling out, perhaps some one can help me :) mine is a 1994 Caravelle anyone have any idea what the eu bodywork is ?
The mass is service ? Technically permissible maximum laden mass ? Any help appreciated T:
Caravelle is category M1, probably section AF: Multi-purpose vehicle.

Is it a LWB or SWB Caravelle ?

/M

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Caravelle is category M1, probably section AF: Multi-purpose vehicle.

Is it a LWB or SWB Caravelle ?

/M

It's a short wheel base marlow ? Yeah i put the Eu vehicle category in as m1 allright so that means my eu bodywork is Af ? Thanks Marlow

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
It's a short wheel base marlow ? Yeah i put the Eu vehicle category in as m1 allright so that means my eu bodywork is Af ? Thanks Marlow
I'll have a look at my paperwork here. I still have copies of the german documents from my Caravelle. It's a facelift, but wouldn't be much off yours for weights. They should be in those documents.

/M

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes you can until the end of April anyway. New rules are coming in which state that only conversions can be carried out by a registered converter. I imagine the reason for this is that too many people are carrying out the basic conversion ie sticking some sort of bed (even futon), a storage bin and cooker into the back of a panel van, getting a low vrt valuation, paying it, then carrying out a more professional conversion which would have incurred a higher level of vrt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes you can until the end of April anyway. New rules are coming in which state that only conversions can be carried out by a registered converter.

That's what I've heard too but I can't find anything on the NSAI website that confirms this. Surly getting the inspection done by a NSAI registered garage amounts to the same thing ??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sent away the forms to rosslare 2 weeks ago haven't heard anything back as of yet don't know whether that is a good sign or a bad sign

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi people, well after selling a bay window a few years ago I bought a T5 swb van for conversion on Friday, I have a few questions though.

1. Can I still do the conversion myself and have someone certify the work and then pay vrt or does it need to be professionally converted

2. What rock n roll bed should I buy and do i need a crash tested one for certification.

3. Anyone fit windows

4. I saw on this site a while ago someone converted a blue t5 to camper but i cant find it now, can anyone point me in the right direction

Thanks folks, all help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi people, well after selling a bay window a few years ago I bought a T5 swb van for conversion on Friday, I have a few questions though.

1. Can I still do the conversion myself and have someone certify the work and then pay vrt or does it need to be professionally converted

2. What rock n roll bed should I buy and do i need a crash tested one for certification.

3. Anyone fit windows

4. I saw on this site a while ago someone converted a blue t5 to camper but i cant find it now, can anyone point me in the right direction

Thanks folks, all help greatly appreciated
1. DIY is fine. Keep all receipts

2. You don't need a crash tested one, not sure about best R & R beds, maybe ask Happy Campers or Cosy Classics. Am thinking of switching to one too.

3. Happy Campers I think would do this

·
Registered
441 Posts
i heard that the 1.8m height rule is to change again to the old rules come jan 2015, does anyone know if this is true??

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
i heard that the 1.8m height rule is to change again to the old rules come jan 2015, does anyone know if this is true??
Your best source is to ask Rosslare.

However, this is not something that just will come in fast. They can't reintroduce it without a vote in Dublin Castle and a change of laws, so it's not going to come back in that fast. If at all.

There's quite a few organisations, that have made it clear to them, that reintroducing the 1.8m rule will not solve their issue.

/M

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was wondering too. i read that 1.8m or below and you pay 30% VRT. if you have a pop top or not, the roof height is measured at the lowest point, so a pop top is irrelevant. Is the 30% VRT true?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the 1.8m rule is back? I was told it was by a friend recently...
I enquired with a broker yesterday and he said I would need a pop top :blg , engineers report, photos of the set up inside, and a fresh DOE test, and even with all that he said I might have a job getting insurance. I have a T4 and I was about to convert it but I don't want a pop top, is there any way around this? I have been following this thread for ages but wasn't in a position to convert until now, this will throw a big spanner in the works.

Thanks for any info,

Steve.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I enquired with a broker yesterday and he said I would need a pop top :blg , engineers report, photos of the set up inside, and a fresh DOE test, and even with all that he said I might have a job getting insurance. I have a T4 and I was about to convert it but I don't want a pop top, is there any way around this? I have been following this thread for ages but wasn't in a position to convert until now, this will throw a big spanner in the works.

Thanks for any info,

Steve.
Forget the broker, ring Dolmen, Stuart and The Caravan Club directly.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts