VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Now I’m somewhere close to getting my 2002 T4 Kombi the way I want it A: I’m thinking about changing my wheels. It’s currently running a set of (replica) 18” old style RS4’s - I can hear the collective groan from here! However in my defence a.) they were on the van when I bought it, b.) I actually like the 9 spoke design, c.) despite only being multi-fit replica’s (which I know have a very poor rep) they appear to be in good nick, have no cracks as yet and don’t leak air; however, my nagging doubt is they are not load rated and as we all know cheap non-german replica’s are generally made of cheese and I don’t want to suffer a mishap with the kids on board.

In terms of what I might replace them with, I would ideally like to stick with 18’s – I’m down 40mm front and back and not really planning to go any lower, I don’t carry much weight but equally don’t want to shake the family’s or the dog’s fillings out, and the ride quality is quite good currently on the Kumho Ecsta’s 235/45/18’s I’m running.

2 options I am considering are:- 1.) 18x8 Gallardo replica’s - ET45, 850kg rated, 2.) 18x8.5 Merc Monoblock replica’s – again ET45 and 975kg rated.

I’m leaning towards the monoblocks but it’s the extra ½” width that’s worrying me given the tyre size I’m running. I really want to stick with my current tyres as they have 6mm tread plus they are a pretty decent 98xl load rating and I don’t want to go lower given it’s a family wagon.

The reason I’m concerned about the extra ½” is I was hoping by changing wheels I could sort the load rating out AND bring the front wheels within the arches as the ET35 RS4’s I have currently are right on the edge of the front arches if not a couple of mm over. I know the extra offset will bring them in but will the extra 12.5mm or so width not negate this and more potentially?

Gallardo reps should be fine I would guess unless anyone has experience of them fouling suspension on the inner edge with 235/45’s or bigger fitted?

In summary 2 questions really:

1.) Is anyone successfully running 18X8.5J front’s with 235/45/18 tyres on a 40mm drop (or more)?
2.) If no one is running this combo, Will they fit?! ...and sit within the front arches and not rub on the inner edge?

I’d also be interested to hear what tyre sizes people are running on 18” Gallardo reps please, particularly people successfully running 235/45’s or bigger with no rubbing front or rear.

Thanks in advance

PS Any other constructive load rated wheel suggestions welcome – Topline’s and Ronal’s both very nice! A:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

I see that no one has posted a reply.

I am also looking to put 18x8.5s with either ET32 OR ET43 but not sure which would be best. so far the Bus has been lowered 60mm.

I have seen some posts that people have put 18x8.5s on but not sure about how low they actually went.

Hopefully we may get a reply.

I did put a post on the Facebook site and got a reply from Stevethestereo Mathers ‎saying 235/45/18 with the et 45 should be fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm currently selling Gallardo reps, but they're 19's with 235/35's, they'll fit without any modification to the arch on a van lowered 40mm

·
Registered
609 Posts
You will be safe with et45 on the front with a 40-50mm drop
T:
Agreed. I run 18 x 8.5J ET35 and have had to go down to a 215 width to avoid rubbing (originally had 245 width). I reckon ET45 with a 235 would be about perfect as it would give the same clearance as 215 on ET35.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts