VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just bought these, thought i could spray them up or get powder coated but im wondering will they fit my ex AA t4, at first i thought they would as they are from a caravelle but being new to all this i dont honestly have a clue if they will fit straight on or not, i paid £100 do you think i was ripped off, any advice would be lovely cheers J

Welcome to my auction for a set of four very rare Genuine VW Multivan T4 alloy wheels with tyres. All four alloy wheels could do with painting as the lacquer has peeled. The wheels came from a low mileage Multivan and are straight and true. They have no kerb damage and could be repainted/colour coded relatively easily. These wheels could also fit a T25 Transporter.
The wheel dimensions are: 15" diameter 6.5J width and a offset of et40.
They are also fitted with road legal tyres that have approx 3mm tread left and are 205/65/15 in size.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got those on my '94 Caravelle. The previous owner painted them black and so far *every* person who's seen our 'Velle for the first time has said:

"Are those steel wheels? Oh no, alloys... Ah..."

So there'll fit, but don't paint them black!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yep, they'll fit T:.

Someone on here refurbed a set of them a while back and they looked fantastic, black, grey and red or something like that.
Someone will hopefully remember and post a linky.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
As Alan said, they'll fit - I had these on my '93 Westie. They were lacquered alloy on the silver face parts, and satin black. They'll look retro-cool when tidied up - they need to be two-tone for the design to stand out (not all black as the other guy pointed out!) A:

·
Registered
389 Posts
just bought these, thought i could spray them up or get powder coated but im wondering will they fit my ex AA t4, at first i thought they would as they are from a caravelle but being new to all this i dont honestly have a clue if they will fit straight on or not, i paid £100 do you think i was ripped off, any advice would be lovely cheers J

Welcome to my auction for a set of four very rare Genuine VW Multivan T4 alloy wheels with tyres. All four alloy wheels could do with painting as the lacquer has peeled. The wheels came from a low mileage Multivan and are straight and true. They have no kerb damage and could be repainted/colour coded relatively easily. These wheels could also fit a T25 Transporter.
The wheel dimensions are: 15" diameter 6.5J width and a offset of et40.
They are also fitted with road legal tyres that have approx 3mm tread left and are 205/65/15 in size.

Nice one bud.

£100 is a bargain...T: they are cool...:cool:

I’m certain that early caravelle alloys will become sough after, in years to come by the VW T4 purists.

When you got some spare cash, you can upgrade the tyres to 215/65 15...:)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I pondered on that auction, they'll look great refurbed - good buy!T:

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
They were on my '93 US spec Westfalia "Eurovan CV", which is a caravelle-based vehicle. I've seen a fair few early import velles/multis/westies that have these wheels... :ILU:

·
Registered
844 Posts
You did well with those wheels. They are tatty but look really straight and will be a great project, you can colour them to suit your van. I looked at bidding but was told no!!! by the accountant. Enjoy and stick some pics up.

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
I sold my set with four new tyres for £200, but they were in better nick than yours... I still think you did well, and they'll eventually be a cult wheel like fuchs, as long as you're prepared to wait a decade or two... ;) T:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I bought mine in a similar state from ebay for 73 quid delivered in Jan last year. I then had then refurbed in gold this time last year. I have since changed the tyres back to 205 width. I need to do something with the centre caps and get wheel nut covers.

I am still not convinced by the gold but they'll do for now.

Dave.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice wheels buddy! With a bit of refurbishment they'll look ace :cool:

I fitted some to my '98 Velle last summer, very pleased with how they look as AFAIK they were originally never fitted to longnose vans so they add a bit of a retro dub look. Currently running 205 width tyres but will go with 215 once my Michelins eventually wear out.

~ Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your positive replies im not so worried ive done a wrong un anymore, i new i liked the look of them so its good to know they'll fit. Loved what the person did with the black, grey and orange stripe top job. When it comes to refurbing mine the options are powder coating (by some company) which im guessing is expensive? or i spray them up myself which i fancy doing but have not done before. I want the finish to look super smooth and be hard wearing, is this possible with spraying by hand. The rims by Mr Woodcraft look amazing. What kind of spray paint would that be. I understand 2 pak is best but im not a spray painter im a carpenter so dont have the tools. Looked at a wheel refurb thread on here which is good but what paint to use...mmmmm. The wheels will arrive next week very excited and cant wait to sort them out (either way) and get them on the bus. Will definately post pics as i go along. Thanks again everyone. J

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Powder coating is best if you want one colour.

Sandblasting and powder coating is £1/inch/wheel at CAS Coatings near Bradford. So £60 a set of 4 15" wheels.
They do a very nice job too. Wheels will look brand new again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i want 2 colours or 1 colour and the original alloy, could they be powder coated then parts picked out with colour spray paint

1 - 20 of 26 Posts