VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a great Glastonbury last year, I've realised vans are better than tents :cool:

I want to get a van and do the work myself. But what do I get? Here the wishlist :

1. Something I can use to get to work, approx 4 miles
2. Something I can use with the mates to go skiing in Scotland (4-6 people)
3. Something I can remove seat (leaving 2) and 'drop in' some units to use as a camper.

Budget is around 15k so what should I be expecting to get for that?

Thanks in advance.
Peter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IcarusGreen,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What should I be looking for SWB, engine size, type, expected mileage, age. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and design underwater ROVs so the inside should be a great project but I know very little about vans.

Cheers,
Peter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It honestly depends on what your preferences are.

most people rate tailgates as you can stand under them when it rains but I personally prefer the looks of the barn doors (although I ended up buying a tailgate)

Short wheelbases are more manoeuvrable and easier to park but LWBs have more space inside and are more practical in this respect.

Air con, electrics, cruise control as preferred.

T5 1.9 engines more reliable & economical, T5 2.5's more powerful (both points debated a lot on here)
T5.1s 2.0 ltr engines in all with varying power.

The best thing to do is read through the forum and see what takes your fancy, browse van trader & ebay to get an idea of what you can get for your money and factor in your build cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts