VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,
i am a complete new fella to campervans but was thinking about getting a 1997 T4 CARAVELLE VR6 - CAMPERVAN. i know they like to drink petrol but can anyone give me any advice or comments about this van. i am goint to look at it in a weeks time, seems very nice like but any knowedge anyone could give would be good.
dirk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm assuming that you are selecting the big petrol T4 in the hope of performance? The numbers (VW published figures) might surprise you.

T4 V6 Petrol 140PS @ 4500. Top speed 108mph, 0-60 13.5sec, Fuel economy mpg = (town)18 (outer)28 (combined)24

T4 Diesel 150PS @ 4000. Top speed 113, 0-60 12sec, Fuel economy mpg = (town)29 (outer)45 (combined)38

T4 Diesel 102PS @ 3500. Top speed 98, 0-60 18sec, Fuel economy mpg = (town)28 (outer)42 (combined)36

(Note; all manual, not auto)

However, if you are asking because the engine just happens to be fitted in a dream Caravelle at the right price, well I wouldn't suppose there is too much of a problem. Unless you intend to make lots of trans european trips on a budget!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Please note that the 150ps diesel mentioned above is almost only available in europe, but the fairly common 102bhp diesel can be remapped to lots, with not too much expense.

Nowt wrong with wanting a VR6 thou, its more likely to be a high spec model with toys like A/C, electric windows and it'll be the prettier long nose front end :) Personally I far prefer a petrol to a diesel and LPG is a fairly viable option to bring running costs down.

Not sure what the VR6 is like for reliabilty, know they were known for HG failiures/bore wear in golfs, dont know if that also stands in T4s.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have just realised we are talking about an Automatic, in which case:

T4 V6 Petrol (AUTOMATIC) 140PS @ 4500. Top speed 105mph, 0-60 14.5sec, Fuel economy mpg = (town)16 (outer)27 (combined)22

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have just realised we are talking about an Automatic, in which case:

T4 V6 Petrol (AUTOMATIC) 140PS @ 4500. Top speed 105mph, 0-60 14.5sec, Fuel economy mpg = (town)16 (outer)27 (combined)22
Ehhh, hold on now
U are on about the VR6 as the OP is looking for
However U write V6... DO NOT mix them as far as output figures go please! T:

The VR6 is a fine, strong engine that performance wise can delover alot more than what is origininally did in the T4.
But its tricky....
Many V(R)6 have been converted to LPG which could save U some money... & also be a right pain in the rectum... Even if I have been slayn for saying so before, LPG is a calculated risk.
Lets not go further into this as I don`t know if it applies to U`r desired van.

The VR6 only came with auto-boxes, please look at latest topics as far as that go.

Personally i would choose a V6 but I recon they are few & far between in the UK. Same goes for the 150HP Caravelle (there was one for sale on the forum most rescently).

What would be U`r biggest fear with the VR6? There are probably mosre parts available for that engine than the 5-pot Tdi mentiones by others ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all for the info, just to clarify im looking at a 1997 P REG, VW T4 CARAVELLE VR6, with a auto box, the spec does include ELECTRIC WINDOWS, CRUISE CONTROL, ELECTRIC MIRRORS and its seems like a far price. not to concerned about speed just looking for a strong engine for long distances so was wondering about reliability, parts and working on this engine also since i am a complete newbie was wondering what i should look out for when buying this bus, rust, batterys leasure and stuff it is avertised now as having
GLOSS BLACK UNITS
GLOSS BLACK TABLE
SMEV 2 BURNER & SINK
3/4 ROCK N ROLL BED
2 X CAPTAINS CHAIRS (SPIN ROUND)
CEILING MOUNTED TV/DVD PLAYER
CHROME SIDE BARS
TINTED WINDOWS
CURTAINS
18" ALLOY WHEELS & TYRES UNMARKED BOUGHT THEM LAST SUMMER £800
DEEPER DISH ON REAR WHEELS (LOOKS GREAT)
LED LIGHTS ON FLOOR
CD PLAYER
ELECTRIC WINDOWS
CRUISE CONTROL
ELECTRIC MIRRORS

163K on clock and tax and tested.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ehhh, hold on now
U are on about the VR6 as the OP is looking for
However U write V6... DO NOT mix them as far as output figures go please! T:
Good Call (as always) JefeDeMaquinas!

I was quoting from my T4 user manual and of course I meant the VR6. The figures are correct for that vehicle.

However, Wiki revealed for me that there was a 24 valve version "V6" released later with a far more exciting 204 PS engine. Wow! Sorry to mislead. It was news to me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
the vr6 golf was chain driven but i am unsure about the t4,when i bought my current mk3 vr6 golf i was told to look for signs of chain wear,basically excessive rattle on start up etc,sounds like a bag of nails being thrown around in a metal container,if the one your looking at is chain driven this is worth checking,they can as mentioned be prone to overheating so check for coolant leaks etc,service history is a must(common sense) but if chains are all ok and it has good service history they are good for a lot of miles ,hope this helps,ps my 97 plate vr is on 92 k and runs lovely,i think vw recommend changing chains from about 100k? so if you have proof of this then thats a bonus,however i have known the original chains to last into 140/150k ta andyT:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
True Andy, IN GENERAL for the VR6
But SH should go with any descent car ;)
& again; T4 VR6 are not the same as in Golf, Passat, Sharan, Corrado etc
MANY parts are interchangable, but this must be checked on each individual case
As I have stated a few times before, there are very good reasons why VW downrated the VR6 when fitting it to the T4;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
yeh definitely jeff,i did post on here about how difficult it would be to convert to vr6 golf etc as they can be found relatively cheaply,174 brake as standard,obvioysly t4 is a bit heavier but smooth engine and power delivery,downside thirsty but not bad on a run

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Allright, this is slighty OT but as there are few VR6-related threads, I allow myself this one last sidestep in this thread.

The VR6 came in quite a few versions, including the US-version.
There are as I said earlier many differences between them. & for those of U who now think "Ahh, I`ll stuff the Vito V6 in the T4" U should forget abot that as Merc only utilized the block from VAG.

Another difference is the 2.8 vs 2.9 engine. The bigger one is less fail-proof & had a tendensy to "take apart" gearboxes (consider that statement VW internal knowledge) & what among the reasons it was no longer applied to 2WD.

I could go on & on abt the different engines etc, but that is uncalled for here.
May I suggest that anyone fancying the V or VR6 to read up indepth about the different engine & their possible faults etc.

As with so many other mechanical things, many of them are gitting the 20 year old mark & have lived a diveres life I:
Should U consider buying a VR6, make sure the engin fitted actually belongs to the car. It it has been "made to fit" U may be in for a nasty surprise down the road.

@ OP; Sorry for the Hijack but I hope U find some use to the info rendered.
& remeber; The VR6 likes the "right" kind of petrol T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Allright, this is slighty OT but as there are few VR6-related threads, I allow myself this one last sidestep in this thread.

The VR6 came in quite a few versions, including the US-version.
There are as I said earlier many differences between them. & for those of U who now think "Ahh, I`ll stuff the Vito V6 in the T4" U should forget abot that as Merc only utilized the block from VAG.

Another difference is the 2.8 vs 2.9 engine. The bigger one is less fail-proof & had a tendensy to "take apart" gearboxes (consider that statement VW internal knowledge) & what among the reasons it was no longer applied to 2WD.

I could go on & on abt the different engines etc, but that is uncalled for here.
May I suggest that anyone fancying the V or VR6 to read up indepth about the different engine & their possible faults etc.

As with so many other mechanical things, many of them are gitting the 20 year old mark & have lived a diveres life I:
Should U consider buying a VR6, make sure the engin fitted actually belongs to the car. It it has been "made to fit" U may be in for a nasty surprise down the road.

@ OP; Sorry for the Hijack but I hope U find some use to the info rendered.
& remeber; The VR6 likes the "right" kind of petrol T:

My 1998 VR6 Auto Caravelle has had refurbished auto box - 4 injectors - new plugs - coil - leads - yet still develops a problem when warmed up - drives beautifully for about 30 minutes, then starts to pull back (almost like plugs have become detached and seems to be running on 2 cylinders) then cuts out and on restarting performs like an old tractor.
Next when cold again will drive perfectly and reaches good speeds - then after warming does the above all again. – oh! It often smells strongly of petrol
VW garage says it shows no fault on testing and everyone I have asked cannot explain what it could be….Anyone out there…?
Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1998 VR6 Auto Caravelle has had refurbished auto box - 4 injectors - new plugs - coil - leads - yet still develops a problem when warmed up - drives beautifully for about 30 minutes, then starts to pull back (almost like plugs have become detached and seems to be running on 2 cylinders) then cuts out and on restarting performs like an old tractor.
Next when cold again will drive perfectly and reaches good speeds - then after warming does the above all again. – oh! It often smells strongly of petrol
VW garage says it shows no fault on testing and everyone I have asked cannot explain what it could be….Anyone out there…?
Tony

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Start a new thread rather that reviving one from 2012!

If the vr6 has a separate ignition module, I would replace that. Might look similar to this:

Also, may be worth fitting a new ecu temp sensor, and have a look at the spark plugs - they are probably black with fuel, so will need replacing once you have solved the problem. Assuming your replacement parts like leads and coils are decent quality, German or oem, most of the budget ignition components I've used over the years have been junk and failed v quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
10 years ago, through a family member, I was given the opportunity to purchase a 1997 VR Automatic Caravelle. We removed the 3rd row of seats, fitted dog cages & over the next 9 years or so travelled many 1000's of miles the length & breadth of the UK showing our hounds. The Caravelle always got us there & back safely. A couple of years ago, for various reasons we had to give up showing so the 3rd row of seats were replaced & the 2nd row removed. This gave us space to fit a table etc & now instead of being a "dog truck" it is a day van which my wife & I can use even with our disabilities to get about. The vehicle is a pleasure to drive & one doesn't feel shattered after driving 500 miles or so and takes all eqipment necessary for our needs. The only thing which has caused us problems is the "inhibitor" but with judicious thumps on the gear stick we have managed to fire up "Esme" (as she is known). If one puts aside the thirsty nature then this is the finest multi-purpose vehicle I've had in nealy 60 years of motoring & I wish that I had "discovered" them earlier!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
10 years ago, through a family member, I was given the opportunity to purchase a 1997 VR Automatic Caravelle. We removed the 3rd row of seats, fitted dog cages & over the next 9 years or so travelled many 1000's of miles the length & breadth of the UK showing our hounds. The Caravelle always got us there & back safely. A couple of years ago, for various reasons we had to give up showing so the 3rd row of seats were replaced & the 2nd row removed. This gave us space to fit a table etc & now instead of being a "dog truck" it is a day van which my wife & I can use even with our disabilities to get about. The vehicle is a pleasure to drive & one doesn't feel shattered after driving 500 miles or so and takes all eqipment necessary for our needs. The only thing which has caused us problems is the "inhibitor" but with judicious thumps on the gear stick we have managed to fire up "Esme" (as she is known). If one puts aside the thirsty nature then this is the finest multi-purpose vehicle I've had in nealy 60 years of motoring & I wish that I had "discovered" them earlier!
Later V6 was an even nicer vehicle, but with the extra 64bhp was more thirsty too :(

It's nice to hear from someone who is not moaning about their auto gearbox ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
hello everybody,
i am a complete new fella to campervans but was thinking about getting a 1997 T4 CARAVELLE VR6 - CAMPERVAN. i know they like to drink petrol but can anyone give me any advice or comments about this van. i am goint to look at it in a weeks time, seems very nice like but any knowedge anyone could give would be good.
dirk
Great choice pal,,, I would love the VR6 caravelle over any of the diesels, do not care about economy. As for advice usual checks just like when you buy any car, relevant to the price & miles of course. Nothing special or unique to look for, regardless of what the anoraks say

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Great choice pal,,, I would love the VR6 caravelle over any of the diesels, do not care about economy. As for advice usual checks just like when you buy any car, relevant to the price & miles of course. Nothing special or unique to look for, regardless of what the anoraks say
TBH the fuel economy is not THAT bad. I probably go about 2/3 of the miles on a gallon compared to an equivelant diesel. I do between 4 & 5,000 miles a year, so extra cost is just over £30 a month. Small price to pay for a lovely drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tony
Try the connections on Ecu I had exact same on merc v280, ran bad then ok and stank of fuel, exhaust got hot,tried coil pack then pushed plug on ecu and sorted, behind air vent driver side on merc. No idea on t4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts