VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is Martythebeachbum.
I have just registered and would like to introduce myself!
No T4 as yet, but looking for advice on what is the most economical
On fuel, maintenance, etc, as I have a 100 mile per day commute, and our current ride ( Discovery TD5) is a little thirsty!
I have wife, baby, dog and caravan, and all associated paraphernalia!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kind regards,
Martythebeachbum!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Marty W:

I'm running a 2.4 diesel not sure on actual figures but it seems cheep enough to run T:

I would definitley leave the petrol engined T4's alone I:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi marty

welcome to the forum. I gotta agree with everyone else here, go diesel and if your are towing then I'm told the 2.5 is the one to have. I own a 1.9TD which I love but it does run out of steam on the steep hills despite my best attempts at tuning it up.
However the tuning did make a lot of difference and I now get at least 540 miles to a tank of diesel, thats from full to the warning light coming on, prior to the mods the most I could manage was 512 miles to a tank. So far I have done quite a few miles in her and she's been great, never let me down yet :gl
I have found the parts to be generally reasonable so far and there are some really good suppliers out there, some of which are trade members on this forum.

good luck in your search for a van, but take your time to find a good one

:ILU:

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
Got this one for £2,400 its a 2.5TDI and a 102, for a standard van they are fasttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! I suppose if I look hard enough then there are still good uns out there at a reasonable price!
From what I've been reading it looks like the 2.5 tdi is the one to go for, although if the right van came up and it wasn't, I wouldn't rule it out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning guys!

My attention has been caught by an 800 special, 1.9 TD. It's a window van with seats. I am wondering though, what is it that makes it "special"

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum I've a 2.4 t4 ,wife 5 kids ,a dog luggage and a caravan on the back motorways great but hills are a challenge , but you know what I dident care as I'm dubbing T:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not turbo diesel tho that one, may struggle with towing a caravan...

Im in the same boat as you, im also after t4, and after many MANY hours of research I now know i need 2.5 TDI as i need to tow car trailer & car to track days, and the torque of the non turbo models seems a little lacking for my needs, but it all horses for courses, if you werent planning on towing then you would probably be absolutely fine with non turb T:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, heard that the 2.4 diesels are 'bombproof', but what sort of MPG are you getting? This is a concern for me as with the rising cost of fuel, and my hideous commute, I am looking for the impossible combo of power and economy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts