VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all - as you can see I'm new to the forum although I have been lurking for while, trying to decide if a van would be right for me - and I think the answer is yes - difintely!
So, I am hoping that some of you may be able to help get me started on the road to finding my first T5.

I'm looking for a van that I can modify later (due to a limited budget at this time) into a full blown camper van.

Can I have some advice on the best van to go for (panel van, kombi,floor fixings etc.) initially baring in mind my budget of say £7K (although I may be able to stretch to 10k for something pretty special).

Of course if £7k is simply not enough - even to get started then please feel free to set me straight! T:

Also advice on what I can expect to find at this price (age, condition, mileage etc.) is also very welcome.

Many thanks

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
hi steve, i'm no expert as i'm a newbie myself but have just bought a van so can pass on my limited experience.

as for advice on which to go for i'd say you really need to know what you want to do with your van then decide if the seat rails/fixings, single seats, windows etc of kombis and other variations are required.

i went for a panel van as it offers me a totally blank canvas, my only stipulation was that i wanted a tailgate and low mileage.

we've only been looking for a few weeks and missed a van in worcester a couple of weeks ago, it was a 55 85bhp with 22k and was up for £7000+vat.

yesterday we bought an 05 with 26k for 6500+vat (it was originally 7500+vat), i think we got lucky and picked up bargain as it's immaculate and we're well pleased.

the only thing that i was worried about was the 85bhp and planned to have it remapped but i travelled back 125miles up the m1 at 70-80 no problem, it's got better performance than the l200 that it's replacing and that's supposed to have 113bhp so i might leave it be.

hope this helps and welcome to the forum (thought i'd leave that bit 'til last as i don't think i'm qualified yet to welcome people in!)

stuart T:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Steve, i'm in same position and research so far has found that 85ps 1.9TDi is gutless, and 104ps 1.9 does better 0-60, but for same mpg. I'm aiming for the 104ps, although the 130ps 2.5l diesel is a bit more punchy for not much more juice.

Panel vans start at about £7k it seems in good cond, but i'm after air con too (as the back of the van with kids in can get quite hot apparenlty).

I've been quoted about £300 inclusive to add official VW windows (each), and anywhere between £2500-£10k for a conversion. I was first assuming i wanted a built-in fridge, but as the van will be used mostly for day-to-day, i could save weight by using a 12V coolerbox.

Tailgate/barn doors? Either can have windows fitted, tailgate is good to provide shelter from rain whilst removing boots etc, but can be a problem to open if you park close to a wall or other car.

The T5 has three seats upfront in panel van form, and the passenger twin seat does not fold flat (on itself). Certain T4 cabin seats (was it before MY2000?) did fold flat making an excellent table in the front. You can swap seats for captains swivel seats, but i'm after 3 belts upfront and two in the rear. I may consider retrofitting T4 folding seats in the front of the T5, if the fitting allows.

When considering a bed in the back, Cannons Forge seem the norm, and can be fitted with/without seatbelts. I'd like headrests too, and i'm not sure whether they only come on a RIB Altair bed (which costs a lot more), or on some CF beds?

I'm waiting for some finances to make their way into my current account, but would be interested to know how you get on.

Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
166 Posts
the only thing that i was worried about was the 85bhp and planned to have it remapped but i travelled back 125miles up the m1 at 70-80 no problem, it's got better performance than the l200 that it's replacing and that's supposed to have 113bhp so i might leave it be.
That's interesting, as the big positive about the 85ps model is that they are plentiful. I just wonder how it'd fair with aircon on and a fully laden camper conversion with up to 5 people? Interesting news though, thanks Stuart! Tony

·
Registered
508 Posts
We had a 1.8 petrol T4 for the last 2 years and sold it last week to allow us to upgrade to a T5.

Searching and searching I found anything with a set of alloys and some side windows were still fetching mega bucks and my budget was £6k -£6.5k.

In the end i thought i did my own conversion in the T4 why not get myself a blank canvas in a T5, so last week purchased 04 T28 1.9 diesel, Electric pack with Air Con, Heated mirrors etc with full service history and hardly a mark on her all for £4550 NO VAT. I know many say the 1.9 is a little gutless but for me its great and the misus uses it as her daily drive.

Now the conversion begins................

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's interesting, as the big positive about the 85ps model is that they are plentiful. I just wonder how it'd fair with aircon on and a fully laden camper conversion with up to 5 people? Interesting news though, thanks Stuart! Tony
tony, fully laden and 5 people i think it would struggle, there's only 2 of us and the conversion will be minimal. however, i haven't done any research so i stand to be corrected but i'm told you can remap (not chip) the 85hp motor to 115hp. T:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

I'm pretty new to the T5 world but in Feb this year I paid £9300 + VAT for a 2005 2.5TDI 174 bhp panel Van with 60K on the clock and full service history. It has electric windows, mirrors, reverse sensors, tow bar and a few other bits including tail gate with tinted window but no Aircon.

I don't find the 174 to gutsey on fuel with my millage mainly being motor way driving, though I guess it will depend on what your used to.

My research told me to go for either of the 2.5 engines. I would have been happy with a 130 to be honest but the "child" in me had to have the 174!!!

Hope any of the above helps or guides at all. Though I'd suggest doing some test drives then holding out for the van you really want. That seemed to work for me.

Good luck with you search

·
Registered
166 Posts
last week purchased 04 T28 1.9 diesel, Electric pack with Air Con, Heated mirrors etc with full service history and hardly a mark on her all for £4550 NO VAT. I know many say the 1.9 is a little gutless but for me its great and the misus uses it as her daily drive.
Wow, where did you get that from Jon? That is cheap. Is it the 103ps? Must have been quite high mileage or colour pink to get it for that price? ;-)

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i know of a black 174 swb with elec, air con etc 106k miles coming up

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll guess you do! What sort of price, it's a bit thirsty for my liking, but if i could try it for a bit to see how it fairs with my right-foot, then i may be convinced. I'd like to also ensure that my wife finds it OK to drive, before we sink too much money into it, and then she won't drive me back from the pub ;-) please p.m. me any details, and i'll have a think. Needs to be low roof too, btw. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dazboi01.

I have read a few horror stories about the 174's eating gearboxes - which is definitely not something that appeals to me - I've spent more than enough time messing with cars and engines etc. in the past and I can't be bothered with it these days!!

But then I guess you get the odd problem car with whatever you buy?

Out of interest how do the LWB and SWB models compare when it comes to maneouvrability, car parks etc.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I may have got my wires crossed - are gearbox issues a common problem on all T5's and not just limited to the 174?

If that is the case then I guess it just means I need to be careful and find a good one!

·
13,223 Posts
the guys have looked after this van, its in good shape and all repairs have been carried out when necessary they havent had any gearbox issues in any of their t5s or caddys they own, for the price its worth a look and drive

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Darren, so Paul's firm own a fleet of vans do they? Is he a member on here? ;-) Not had chance to pop over to see it so far, but have asked for pics/details etc. Ta, Tony

·
13,223 Posts
not a fleet exactly lol, 2 t5s and a caddy, soon to be 4 t5s and a caddy, their two new ones are arriving shortly to be pimped to the max, but theyre lovely guys, got a lot of time for them, one of a few "normal" customers i speak to regularly outside of work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts