VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Newbie - Busy week fixing issues on cheap day van

3K views 70 replies 8 participants last post by  Pduk 
#1 ·
Hello

I used to owned a bay window devon about 10 years ago and a few water cooled Golfs around the same time. But been away for VWs for a while. The thought of being stuck in over winter got me browsing eBay for camper vans again.

I picked up a 2005 T5 2.5 130 SWB ready converted van with a massive 270k on the clock and a few issues.

Here are some pics from the for sale ad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Initial issues:

The radiator fan stuck on all the time,
no history so last service unknown
Slight knocking
Slight wayward handling
Sticky steering wheel and horrible gear knob
Seller said camper electrics had issues.
Aircon not working.

After buying the van I went to visit a friends garage to use his ramp and drink his coffee. First job was to get the front off to get at the coolant sensor G65. I read it could be done with just the front in service position. But would have been really difficult bordering on impossible. So dropped the coolant and removed the rad to get at it, was still very hard to get to. Also replaced the other temp sensor on the rad. I read that you should only get the G65 from VW/TPS as it the only correct one that comes with a little loom.

Also replaced to front wishbone rear bushes, oil change, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter.

With the van apart and on a ramp I could see that it had both a new alternator, new steering rack and I think a new turbo an manifold. The manifold looked very new and there was evidence of a lot of oil from a previously blown turbo. Van also fitted with coilovers and a wabasto heating thing underneath. So cleaned all the old oil mess while I had the front off.

Next was to replace the sticky steering wheel and horrible gear knob. Went with a Golf GT one on eBay as price wasnt to bad. A fairly easy job except the steering rack had been replaced but the steering wheel was way off. So it took a few attempts to get the steering wheel on straight again.

Also ordered some new drive shafts and a new gearbox stub axle. Ive never seen a part vary so much in prices as these. JR on eBay do them very cheap. Not a hard job to do really.

Got the aircon re gassed but still didnt work so Kwik fit emptied it again. (no charge)

After fixing the stuck on fan by replacing the coolant sensors. I could now hear the engine properly at idle. There was a worrying noise that sounded like the top end. Sort of went away when with any revs. Drove it for a few days and through some floods and the noise got really really bad at idle. Some googling suggested it was the aircon.

So back on the ramp and sure enough noise is from the aircon. Its pretty easy to get to from underneath. 3 bolts and then can be pulled out the bottom. The rubber drive things was okay. But the clutch was jammed and all the teeth stripped on the spline. The spline on the pump itself is okay and the pump rotates fine. So I think just a new clutch will do it. But its easy enough to refit the pump with no pulley or clutch and use the van without it.

Engine is still a bit noisy.... but tested it out at a beach.

#9 ·
So update, I did do the air con in autum last year. Thread here: Aircon Clutch / Pulley Part Number?

So after considering selling the van for a newer one and doing a fit to my taste. I’ve decided to keep going and update it a bit. I’m starting with a typical face lift. I have a few questions about that which I’ve posted here.

First job was the door handles. They have these fake chrome plastic cover glued to them. Not my cup of tea at all. Looked for new 2nd hand handles but not about and expensive. So little project.

Remove handle
Prize off covers
Soak glue in acetone & attack with knife
Sand with wet & dry
Clean
Spray with Matt black paint

#13 ·
Any one know if I can use a t5.1 rear bumper straight swap and my parking sensors fit?

I think I might need new reflectors to match, but that’s it?

my rear bumper is damaged anyway.

webasto heater still faulty. Needs removing and sending away.

Another small very annoying fault is drivers window gets stuck near the top. Is fine with a squirt of wd40 but comes back as soon as dry. Must be a little imperfection or rust bubble under the seal. It god awful annoying as $&#%

#14 ·
Oh and rear barn door central locking! The lock itself it stuck and can only lock it from the inside. The solenoids in the control unit seem to work. So I guess I just need to take it all apart. Not looking forward to it as I’m not sure what’s wrong and 2nd hand parts look pricey

#20 · (Edited)
No annoyingly it worked when I first picked up the van but broke within a few days. Although I'm now not sure if I remember using the lock with the key or not....

RE 5.1 bumper. Id heard about these corner brackets. £40 a pair seems a bit steep! The bit that's more technical and I'm a bit confused about is parking sensors....my post from another thread I bumped looking for answers.

"I've got a 2012 rear bumper on its way now...as it was a bargain, £40. So I'm committed to getting to the bottom of it. I've worked out I will also need to fit sensors from post 2012 as well. But joining the looms is reported to work. I've just picked up a loom and parking sensors from a late Passat for £22, so hoping they are the same as 2012 T5.

When I've got everything I'll do post on it as there are a lot of posts asking the question but no answers."

I do wish I'd just ordered a new pre 2012 rear bumper. But now the 2012 spec is ordered Im committed to working it out. hahaa Not like there is much else to do anyway!

#25 ·
The rust drip stains polished off.

Ive ordered some bilt hamber deox rust gel to treat it with and some LD7U off road grey paint in an aerosol.

When I’ve got the deox gel I’ll treat it and sand it repeatedly. Then might put a bit of filler, prime, sand again. Then paint with the factory colour & then a clear lacquer.

Anywhere else on the van I would be replacing the door or taking to a body shop. But as it’s behind the number plate and door handle I reckon it’s worth trying a DIY repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.