VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
So been trying to fix the rear central locking. Good news is a found the problem. But has created a mess.

It was part of the lock mech that was seized. So cleaning it all up and will reassemble with plenty of grease. If I can remember how it goes back together.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Office equipment
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Engineering Gas
Hand Automotive tire Finger Motor vehicle Gas

Discussion starter · #25 ·
The rust drip stains polished off.

Ive ordered some bilt hamber deox rust gel to treat it with and some LD7U off road grey paint in an aerosol.

When I’ve got the deox gel I’ll treat it and sand it repeatedly. Then might put a bit of filler, prime, sand again. Then paint with the factory colour & then a clear lacquer.

Anywhere else on the van I would be replacing the door or taking to a body shop. But as it’s behind the number plate and door handle I reckon it’s worth trying a DIY repair.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
Oh and got the late rear bumper £40 and a bargain loom and sensor set from a Passat that was only £23. Check the part numbers of the sensors are correct. Just waiting on the parking sensor holders to arrive as the rear bumper didn’t include them.

Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire

Bumper looks good for that money đź‘Ť .
What else is involved in retrofitting parking sensors?? Control unit etc ?
If you can keep the paint line hidden behind the number plate as much as poss i reckon a diy repair will look just fine .

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I managed to find one post that someone said they wired the new sensors into the existing loom. Otherwise very little info about. So I’m not 100% sure this is going to work. But thought I’d find out and add a post with the answer as lots of posts asking.

I did also had to buy new reflectors.

Im still holding out on the new brackets....due to the prices.

Got a set of parking sensor holders for ÂŁ20. The prices of those are mad with most asking ÂŁ40 to ÂŁ50!

I think all in with brackets it going to cost ÂŁ140 to do the rear.

It’ll be going to a body shop to get the bonnet sprayed once I’ve done the front facelift. So if my repair doesn’t look right then I can get it done proper then.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
A slight break in the weather earlier gave me the chance to finish fixing the rust on the rear barn door. The rust was pretty bad and the whole door should be replaced really. But I've patched it up as best as I can for now.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Car

When the number plates back on it should hide it.

I gave the handle a coat of mat black while it was off.

I went a bit mental out of boredom yesterday and ordered a mountain of stuff! New wheels, tyres and everything I hadn't bought yet for the front end facelift. So my next update will be a complete transformation of the van.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I’ve put a coat of the off road grey on the inside of the bonnet. I don’t know if I’m right but that should mean when I take it to a body shop they won’t need to remove the bonnet & can just do the outside of it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bag Automotive design Hood

It actually looks pretty good.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Thanks for the encouragement...busy day of deliveries:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

White writing way round or not?

mum ready to start work but went to turn the van round front in to garage and flat battery. I left internal lights on yesterday!

Also, the ÂŁ40 brackets fir the rear bumper are ÂŁ27 at TPS.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.