VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I don't yet have a camper but I've been looking at them for a few months now (hundreds online and 2 or 3 in real life) but cannot decide what to concentrate on. My intended use is travelling around Europe, with my bike - staying few days in a campsite while I do some cycle rides, then moving on, for perhaps 3-4 weeks at a time. Mostly just me but sometimes with a partner. Budget around 20k, max 25k - to include any work that needs doing on whatever I buy.
I know it's a 'head/heart' decision really but I'd like some info from you experts if possible. Design wise I definitely prefer the late bays to the new T5s, but for reliability I guess the T5 will win hands down.
In the past I've had experience with maintaining a car (stripped down and rebuilt my Triumph Herald engine in the early 70's) so doing maintenance on an old vehicle doesn't worry me particularly.
Since I'll be using it mostly in Europe I think a LHD bus would be better; so there's probably more of those around in the older buses.
I've posted a similar question on thelatebay.com. - it will be interesting to see what different advice I get here :)
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I have a 56 split and a 72 bay and a t5 we live in Cornwall and the furthest we go in our t2s is Devon ! Id go anywhere in Europe in my t5 T: Need I say more??

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Split the difference and get a T4.... you know it makes sense :ILU:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The fact that you're OK with a LHD van registered in the UK gives you a lot more bargaining power that if you were looking for a RHD.

I had that same benefit, and ended up getting a fantastic bargain of a partially camper fitted 2013 LHD T5 with 35,000 km and in perfect nick for >25% lower than your budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies
I have a 56 split and a 72 bay and a t5 we live in Cornwall and the furthest we go in our t2s is Devon ! Id go anywhere in Europe in my t5 T: Need I say more??
Maybe you needn't say more! Very succinct, that makes lots of sense.
Split the difference and get a T4.... you know it makes sense
I know what you mean, but a t4 (unless I can find one with very low mileage) misses out on both the character of the T2 and the reliability of the T5 - or am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Don't get me wrong we love our t2s there awesome and living in Cornwall (like yourself?) we find we don't need to go far ! When we do I like the fact that when wet fogy etc my t5 has bright headlights wipers that work and a heater that can actually clear glass :D when its sunny and we are stuck in crawling traffic I'm glad it's not air cooled T:
GOOD LUCK HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOUR AFTER T:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know the dilemma! I came to a T5 having owned an air cooled Steyr Puch Pinzgauer for 10 years. It was so hard to say goodbye to the character and fun of an older vehicle. In a way it isn't the same comparison as to an older T2 as the Pinzgauer was engineered to levels beyond most land vehicles today despite being 40 years old. But reality is that being able to cruise safely at motorway speed consuming relatively little fuel and in comparative comfort is something that makes trips in the T5 much more appealing.

I suppose the key question is whether it is a vehicle for a purpose or the purpose is ownership of the vehicle.

At least with a T5 there are so many ways to make the van unique to you with customisation either subtle or extreme!

Goodbye old

hello new

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am an old school Aircooler at heart.. I have always had at least one T2 since 1990, and currently have a Scooby powered Early bay, and a T4.. As much as though I love my Bay, its the T4 that gets all the serious mileage these days! If it was me, it would be the dirty diesel reliability of a T5 for a Europe trip. T:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Thanks for all the replies

Maybe you needn't say more! Very succinct, that makes lots of sense.

I know what you mean, but a t4 (unless I can find one with very low mileage) misses out on both the character of the T2 and the reliability of the T5 - or am I wrong?
I've just snuck in to the T5 section to mention that a T4 is far more reliable than any other Transporter. They are great machines :D

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I've just snuck in to the T5 section to mention that a T4 is far more reliable than any other Transporter. They are great machines :D
Not sure why you need to sneak! It's a good suggestion if you want something that can go long distance in comfort and is gaining in desirability and value the t4 is a good bet!! I don't do them and us ! My pet hate is the stuck up idiots at some shows who think I'm beneath them because I left my air cooled kit at home and rocked up in my t5 !!! What's that all about?? :cool:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Good point, well made.

I do envy the mod cons of the T5! Although, if I had the choice I'd buy a T3 to go alongside the T4...but that's a long way off!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
T1 beetle t2 split followed by t3 variants notch square and fast back t2 bay low light t2 bay high light t25 t4 t5 t5.1t6 that's the way it is Rasp:

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
T1 beetle t2 split followed by t3 variants notch square and fast back t2 bay low light t2 bay high light t25 t4 t5 t5.1t6 that's the way it is Rasp:
You're confusing T with Type.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
T stands for type its not confusing transporter type 5 for example non transporter transporter 5 ??
Transporter taken from the vw factory transporters that the type 2 was based on

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
What happened to the type 4 variant :*

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
What happened to the type 4 variant :*
Good point they were cool ! Like an old school pasat cant remember the last time I saw one :*
But my split is still a type 2 and vw badges evere single t25 ever made as a t25 because they aren't type 3s I:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
In any case the thread seems to be going massively off topic does anyone have any useful advice for this post ? And does anyone else think that a good solution to this problem of a vehicle that could cross Europe and still have a gaining desirability factor would be a good clean T4 ??? Answers on a postcard please :D

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
T stands for type its not confusing transporter type 5 for example non transporter transporter 5 ??
Transporter taken from the vw factory transporters that the type 2 was based on
Still off topic but that's wrong.

Type 1 Beetle
Type 2 Transporter, T1 to T6.
Type 3 Notch back/fast back.
Type 4 411/412

T1 Split screen
T2 Bay
T3 Wedge, also known in UK as T25
T4, T5, T6.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts