VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day Folks, I have just joined this forum so I can find out how to DIY work on my (new to me) 2009 T5 Caravelle (2.5 Diesel 128kw 4Motion SWB). I had previously owned a T3 Syncro which I wish I never sold 16 years ago.
So far I have used the forum for a few days before registering to glean how to remove the front bumper (successfully).
I have a question about parking sensors which I don't seem to be able to find a specific answer for in the forum searches I have done.
I seem to have the same problem others have mentioned, but none of the apparent solutions seem to match my problem.
When the Parking Sensor is on in the cabin the button flashes continuously and it beeps once for a couple of seconds.
None of the sensors emit a ticking sound. Other posts indicate this could indicate a faulty sensors - but all 8 at once???
While I had the front bumper off, I checked each sensor with a multimeter and get the same reading from each.
The wiring connectors have power when the cabin button is flashing (which I imagine is good).
The sensor pins give the same resistance reading between one outside pin and the centre pin (which seems reasonable too).
I haven't checked the rear sensors as this would require me to remove a full width towbar which I don't want to do (not yet at least).
In one of the posts I read that there is some sort of control unit for the sensors which I would like to check, however there was no detail on where this might be found.
So my question: Is there a parking sensor control unit and exactly where would such a beast reside? I have looked in all the obvious places but cant see anything that I would recognise as such a device.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,908 Posts
The OEM parking sensors do have a control unit, but I confess that I've never needed to locate one. I'm told that on a facelift van it's under the dash to the left of the steering column, but I've never actually confirmed that. The location on an earlier van is probably similar but again I don't know for sure.

However, the controller status can be read via the diagnostic port, and this may be worth accessing before you start taking things apart, as it should be logging error codes if things are not working correctly.

Here's an example of the sort of diagnostic data you can get back from the control module (on a 2006 2.5l):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 76: Park Assist Labels: 7H0-919-283.lbl
Part No: 7H0 919 283
Component: Parkingsyst. T5 T5M 401

2 Faults Found:
01546 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Left (G204)
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
01547 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Right (G205)
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 06:29)--------------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi traffic, thanks for your reply. I had looked for diagnostic codes with an OBD2 device, but none displayed. I guess I'll have to get a VW place to check with a proper diagnostic tool. But I might wait as I am thinking of getting an OBDeleven device which is supposed to be able to give almost as much info as the VW one.
Regards
J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts