VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, just bought my T5 and someone has fitted a different steering wheel. I have no horn and the airbag light is showing and with a scan comes back with N95-Ignitor resistance too high (or something similar).
This is the wheel, not sure what it's off but it feels nice.

There are also a few connectors in the dash and the horn loom looks to have been cut off as there is no plug for the horn under the van but there is a similar plug with the same coloured wires in the glovebox.

Question is, can this wheel be sorted to the airbag and horn work or do I need to go back to a T5 wheel?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dude. I need to investigate what they've done to my wheel then if it's that straight forward.

CheersA:T:

·
Registered
711 Posts
How does the airbag come off, there's no bolts or clips to remove?
If it's anything like the standard steering wheel on a pre face lift T5 you need to disconnect the battery. Then turn the wheel 90 deg on the back of the wheel should be a hole big enough to fit a flat point screw driver. Lift the screw driver up which releases the air bag. Once you've done this you need to turn the wheel 180 deg and repeat the process. It takes a while as it comes out in stages, it can be diddly and sometime as you undo one side the other pops back in. If you google search how to do it you should find either a how to thread on here with images or find images within the search. It's simple enough just a bit fiddley. If it's not the same idea as a pre face lift then that's as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, spot on!A:

Removed the wheel and checked out the airbag squib and it seems it wasn't centralised when installed and checked out with a meter and there is no connections between either side of the squib. Looks like I found my problem.

Anyone with a new squib they want to sell? :lol:

Also the wiring on the airbag has been cut and joined. Is this correct as the little black plug in my wiring pic below has a home in the new steering wheel but looks to have been cut out of the airbag and joined together. Anyone have an idea.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fitted a second hand squib today and centralised it all up before refitting etc and reset the airbag light. Connected the horm back up under the front and alls good. Thanks for the help.A:T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts