VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We are looking to purchase a Family T5 pop top camper and have been looking online and there seems to be a huge difference in price across all of the vans and it all looks like a bit of a minefield. We are looking at spending 13K-17K, we are unsure whether to buy a van that has had all the work done, our buy a T5 and get one built to our specification. Any advice would be much appreciated.:)

Thanks

John

·
Registered
59 Posts
We went down the route of sourcing our own van and having a company convert it for us, prefered it that way as you know whats been done then. Just need to pick conversion company very carefully, do alot of research into previous work they've done and get recomendations from people on here. We picked a small family company who did a good conversion but the aftersales when things need fixing has been so pick wisely as its alot of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the sound advice. Any rough ideas how much am I looking at to have a T5 converted to 4 berth pop top camper, this will then dictate how much we can spend on a van. I have seen a few dealers on this forum but they seem to be based up north and in wales, anyone have any recommendations for companies a bit closer were based in Southampton.

Many Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
A decent roof will cost £2500-3500 by the time its been painted, fitted and had the bed put in (Austops - Reimo). If you buy a white van you can save best part of £3-500 on painting the roof. Interior cabinets will cost £1000-3000 depending on manufcturer (ebay/RVTec £1000 Reimo up to £3000). A rear bench seat can be under a grand for something basic and functional, A comfy adjustable RIB seat costs about £2500 and the all singing Reimo sliding removable jobbie on rails comes to nearly £4000 with the table attached in optional suede. Lining / insulating a van costs up to £900, then all the hardware (fridge /cooker/sink/tanks/wiring/batteries ) will be ~£1000. A diesel fired heater will another £1500ish.

So overall a full 4 berth conversion will cost somewhere in the region of £9000-18000.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Please be very careful when buying a used T5. Unfortunately they do have a multitude of potential issues if they have been mistreated in the past which of course is not always obvious. Try and take someone along who has driven T5's, particuarly the engine variant you are interested in. I think if I had my time again, I'd buy my van from new, rather than used. As they tend to be keepers (10 years say) then even a loan can perhaps be justified and may in fact work out cheaper than shelling out in some cases 1000's for repairs.

I'd definately get one converted yourselves, loads of very competent converters out there. Surely it's part of the fun! Good luck T:T:

·
Registered
109 Posts
then there's whether both front seats spin or just one...does it have an oven ... are the water tanks in a cupboard or under the van(more space).. does it have a water heater(very few have..mine does I:..).one leisure battery or 2...... is it a 2.5 0r a 1.9....the base van the conversion its built on has a large part to play on price... air con /electric windows so on..... to the uneducated they're all just T5 campers and there are loads of very basic conversions in very basic vans being advertised for crazy money.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your budget might be too low, when your thinking of buying a van then Converting? A t4 might be wiser option with a decent conversion Already done

·
Registered
59 Posts
We managed to get a high mileage but good condition ex works van for around £6,500, not immaculate but good enough. Conversion cost us just under £8,500 but with hindsight would have payed a bit more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts