VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was hoping that the two adult bikes would fit diagonally behind the seats and the two kids bikes would fit in. Obviously would remodel t wheels on adult bikes if needed. Does an adult MTB (Orange Four size M) fit behind the seats? For me, the whole point of getting a van is so the bikes can be inside, if they have to go on a tow bar rack I would be better off getting an estate car.
A 140BHP with 6 speed gearbox is high up my list of requirements. A van would have to be perfect in every other way and cheap for me to consider a 5 speed gearbox.
The plan would be to run it for a while and see what we need, I wasn’t planning on doing any camping, so wasn’t going to fit fridge/toilet etc.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I’ve had 2 adult size mountain bikes in the back of my SWB Kombi and didn’t have to remove the wheels. I normally carry 4 bikes on my campers rear rack. (Haven’t got a rack on the Kombi)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I get 3 adult bikes in the back of my SWB (mines a large/20" frame, g/f and daughter on mediums - all on 27.5" / 650b wheels).
It's much easier to take the front wheels off though.
I have a custom made fork mount running across the width of the van just inside the rear doors to hold them secure. Still have bags of room either side of them for various luggage/biking gear and have small cargo net pockets & hooks on the rear side panels too to hang helmets and smaller bits n bobs for easy access.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I get 3 adult bikes in the back of my SWB (mines a large/20" frame, g/f and daughter on mediums - all on 27.5" / 650b wheels).
I have a custom made fork mount running across the width of the van just inside the rear doors to hold them secure. Still have bags of room either side of them for various luggage/biking gear and have small cargo net pockets & hooks on the rear side panels too to hang helmets and smaller bits n bobs for easy access.
Sounds ideal! I’ll definitely be looking at setting up something similar once I get my van!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Nice to see you're doing plenty of research and physically getting in the T to have a proper look about, it is a shock to the system going from a low down shorty car to a high up driving style, but you soon get used to it, I can't see myself every going back to a car to be honest (y)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Currently trying to design a sofa bed that still allows me to get my bike between that and the rear doors, going to incorporate a bracket for the front forks and something to steady the rear. Think I'm on version 5 already ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice to see you're doing plenty of research and physically getting in the T to have a proper look about, it is a shock to the system going from a low down shorty car to a high up driving style, but you soon get used to it, I can't see myself every going back to a car to be honest (y)
I’m lucky enough that I’ll have both! Hopefully getting a Transporter to replace my sporty daily driver will mean that my sports car gets more use!

I’m going to view a raven blue T5.1 Kombi Highline this afternoon! I wasn’t anticipating moving so fast, but it is a decent spec, the only nitpick being tailgate rather than barn doors, and I love the colour!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I’m lucky enough that I’ll have both! Hopefully getting a Transporter to replace my sporty daily driver will mean that my sports car gets more use!

I’m going to view a raven blue T5.1 Kombi Highline this afternoon! I wasn’t anticipating moving so fast, but it is a decent spec, the only nitpick being tailgate rather than barn doors, and I love the colour!
Win win then mate (y)
Hope the viewing goes well, to be honest tailgates are more popular than barn doors, I've got barn doors but would like tailgate. Think of it this way, when you get back to your T and it's raining, you've got a shelter while loading the bikes back in (y)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Exactly what Pduk says - the tailgates tend to be more desirable and provide that bit of shelter.
I couldn't find one when I was looking so compromised and picked up a barndoor van as the rest of the spec was spot on. The advantage of barndoors is of course that you don't have to leave quite as much room at the rear to get in and out AND you can open just one door and not worry about all your stuff falling out if you're loaded up in the back.
I use mine as my daily driver and love it. It's no bigger than the Passat estate I had before it - and like you I still have other toys to play with if I want a more sporty drive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Cool! There certainly looks like plenty of room with front wheels off.

I’ve got my first trip out with the bike on Sunday - dropping the wife and kids off at a birthday party, escaping to ride for a few hours, then an afternoon at the in-laws. The sort of trip that will be easier with the van, not having to remove the bike from the bike rack when stopping at the in-laws etc.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Similar to my set up, bungy cords holding to the rear of my front seats. Will be mechanically mounted behind my sofa bed infront of rear doors...
Pic from when I was mocking up my rear furniture...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts