VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Caravelle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2001 T4 2.5 TDI, Caravelle camper conversion ...a few issues mainly with suspension ( too low), juddering when setting off from start (been told could be DMF problem) and now a noise from crankshaft pulley when first starting or under load when on full steering lock ...
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Caravelle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's my twin (nearly).....(y)...

View attachment 204257

Lovely looking van bud, (Not biased at all) ...

The interior looks cracking....(y)
Thanks ...interior just needs a fridge ...
Can I ask what size wheels and tyres you are running. Mine is lowered 40mm and I have got 18's with 225/40/18 on and the ride is teeth chattering ...going to try some 225/45/18 on the front and 235/45/18 on the rear to see if it improves if not then the suspension reset to 20mm ...or 10mm...

·
Registered
2001 Caravelle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Juddering from start could be a worn pendelum rod (bottom gear box mount).
Gives a feeling a bit like the engine is "bouncing".
Thanks for the info will have to check that ....juddering tends to be when clutch is released and the engine seems to have a lumpy/irregular tick over but being the 5 cylinder I am not sure if this us normal...not really up to scratch on these engines ...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks ...interior just needs a fridge ...
Can I ask what size wheels and tyres you are running. Mine is lowered 40mm and I have got 18's with 225/40/18 on and the ride is teeth chattering ...going to try some 225/45/18 on the front and 235/45/18 on the rear to see if it improves if not then the suspension reset to 20mm ...or 10mm...

Currently, 16" 7.5J Front, With 205/50/16 and 9J Rear with 225/50/16's....

Keep us posted how you get on with the juddering issue..(y)

·
Registered
2001 Caravelle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found the lowered suspension impossible to live with and put mine back on standard (but H/D) springs.

Then again I do live in rural West Wales.

Rhys
Plan on putting it back to normal and go from there..just need to find the original settings for the torsion bar adjusters ..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Plan on putting it back to normal and go from there..just need to find the original settings for the torsion bar adjusters ..
You may find there is a mark on the thread where the bolt originally sat.

From my experience, get the right sized double ended box spanner then pop a big socket on the end and use the banzai bar to tighten it.

Good idea to have it on axle stands first, though we did mine with the wheels on the floor, which is why we ended up using the 3/4 drive with a ratchet and some little assistence from a 4 foot scaffold pole.

Rhys

·
Registered
2001 Caravelle
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may find there is a mark on the thread where the bolt originally sat.

From my experience, get the right sized double ended box spanner then pop a big socket on the end and use the banzai bar to tighten it.

Good idea to have it on axle stands first, though we did mine with the wheels on the floor, which is why we ended up using the 3/4 drive with a ratchet and some little assistence from a 4 foot scaffold pole.

Rhys
Thanks for the tip ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts