VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

As the title says going to see our first T4 Westfalia this weekend and wondering if there is anything we should pay particular attention to? I know nothing about mechanics but from the pictures and speaking to the seller it seems to be in good condition. Cam belt's been changed recently I think.

Also, about price. It's a German import I think and has FSH, 1999 with 80k miles, 2.5TDi. Is £16.5k fair? From looking around dealer westy's are similar price for twice the mileage.

Thanks very much T:
Iain

·
Registered
820 Posts
£16.5k Sounds about right to me for a westfalia - you pay a hefty premium for the Westy badge, but they really do use quality components and are built to last. If you want to do it cheaper buy a van thats been 'home' converted to a camper and pay £3k to have a reimo roof fitted. You'll get the same age/miles/spec van for £5k-ish plus 3k for the roof, plus it'll be rhd.

Westies are the mut's nuts, personally to me they're just too much money, and to the best of my knowledge only come in LHD. They'll keep their value though so you'll get back a lot of what you spend.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
at that mileage/age(80k or 4yrs) the cambelt/waterpump/pulleys are due.thats a £500-700 job:(

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
theres alot in these campers that are overlooked . double glazing ect . you just dont get that in a DIY converted van . these things are very well made , but for the price difference im not so sure :confused:

·
Registered
435 Posts
pay for a quality build and it's an investment, Westfalia, California, Reimo, etc What they put in as standard most 'home conversions' would leave out. The double-glazing is quite typical, my reimo specced bus has Sietz windows, double glazed with thermal curtains & mosi net. These alone are £500 a pop new so they don;t tend to appear on anything but the higher spec campers.

Tho having said that, am not too sure this is a little overpriced, after all, it's a '99 and only a westie, whilst the mileage sounds very reasonable, can this be ratified? Also, it's a leftie, so to me that should mean a reduction in price, who wants to drive a leftie on british roads afterall?

For comparison, I did find this nice van (westfalia california - sellers seems confused, and so am I, think it's more likely to be a westie) on the bay for a lot less, although again, it's a leftie! Only other downside is milage is pretty high, but that should not be an issue as people who invest in the quality end of the campervan market don;t tend to be shy about keeeping them serviced & well maintained!

Check it out on eBay!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
ok ill answer a few basic westy questions first, yes they are all LHD they were never imported to the uk, they are all westfalia californias, there are different versions, coach, biker, exclusive, most are swb poptop, but theres a swb high top 4 berth, the lwb high top exclusive which has a completely different lay out includes a toilet, and there was a compact high top which is only a two berth.

you couldnt buy and convert a van to the same standard as a westy for the money, time you take in to consideration, pop top, crash tested rnr bed, night heater, fridge, fresh and waste water tanks, pumped water, electric hook up 240v and 12v power points the list go's on. plus most westy were based on caravelles so you get proper seat belt mounting points in the rear, split heating for front and rear, are they worth the money damm right,

with regards to the one you are looking at 16.5 seems about right someones already pointed out one on ebay for 9k which is 6 years older done 100000 miles more and is the 2.4d which is what i sold mine for this year.

what to look out for i would just check everything works, night heater, fridge, control panel etc dont let LHD put you off doesnt take long to get used to it and you'll soon be ready for touring the continent. good luck and enjoy it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello,

I am on my 2nd Westie. They were both 1996 2.5 tdi with a pop top. I now live in Spain but had my first one in the Uk ( I have driven back to the UK for a month in my present one) and have absolutely no problen driving a LHD on UK roads. The only consideration is where you pull up if you have back seat passengers to get ot...esp kids as you dont want them getting out into the road, but all you do is pull up on opposite side. My first van had the gas bottle accessible from the back door, much better for me. The existing one has the gas bottle in the cupboard using up storage for pans etc. I am currently on 260,000 km's and had very few problems. The central locking caused a prob a couple of times but that may be since i had it converted to a dinker and dual settings so we could set the alarm when we were sleepin in it. The cam belt has been most expense but i think that has only been once evry 60,000 miles (that needs checking) so not bad overall. We lived in one for 6 months in France and Spain (with a few weekends in hotels thrown in when the weather was very bad and tempers frayed!) and it was all we needed. I think the quality is great. The only thing i would change in mine is to put a sliding window in the sliding door as it can get very hot for rear passengers in the summer (i havent got air con). I have just done 3000km no prob at all. I cant comment on the different models as havent had them but would advise you to check them out depending on your requirements....family etc. We chise the pop top as there are only 2 of us and it was my daily driver so wanted to be abe to get under car park barriers.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being a Westlalia owner (1999 ) same as the one you are viewing I can only highly recommend one. Build quality is second to none,cuboards,draws etc shut in true german fashion,no rattles. As already stated double glazing as standard, Mine had an optional ( I beleive) winter pack fitted.. heated seats,aux eberspacher for warming engine/heating water as well as the night heater!! LHD i feel is not a problem,great for trips to Europe. I also looked into the conversion route and my conclusion was that to get yhe same spec as a Westfalia would cost the same if not more,but the resale of a conversion would be less as that it is custom made to your requirements and may not suit everyones tastes at the time of selling.
Good luck with the viewing.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I drive LHD drive every day and its no issue at all. It took a day or so to get used to it and after that it's second nature.
Better on narrow roads in fact as it's a lot easier to hug the Kerb and get out of the way.

Westy quality can't be reproduced in a self build without spending mad money. And a Westy will always be worth good money so it's a safe place to put your savings.

I would say for the age and mileage it seems to be priced right, as ling as the condition matches when you view it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
yup our second westy (02 california event) lhd is no issue whatsoever, the quality simply cannot be reproduced by a home build, just take a look at the roof section above the cab compared to a hacked van having a reimo roof fitted. a westy will always hold its money, be better specced and nicer to live with than any other conversion as thats what they are conversions, the westy was vw factory built supplied by the vw main dealer.
accept no substitureT:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Go Westie, build quality second to none. Crash test a self buildLOL:LOL:LOL:
They hold there value just look in terms of a T2 Westie or T2 selfbuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts