VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Im a newbie to the T4 and just got home with a 2001 2.5Tdi 102 1200
Long term plan is to convert into a camper but just wanted to find out about those niggles that they may or may not suffer from?
Thanks in advance
Ben

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Welcome Ben
Good to see another "4er" joining' way too many 5's on here with their seemingly bottomless budgets and upgrades I:
Seriously though, tis a good site and plenty of useful info to be gleaned, get a copy of VCDS and a cheap laptop, the best tool for a T4 owner...Gaz will tell you that T:
Best way to search is Google vwt4 and your problem/question and it'll point you in the right direction A:
Niggles... first thing to check is the cam belt/waterpump, if it's not been done in a while or you're uncertain then get it changed pronto.
Use the correct oil, V important
Headlight loom upgrade is a must if not already done, winters coming :(
Pictures please A:
All the best

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Welcome Ben
Good to see another "4er" joining' way too many 5's on here with their seemingly bottomless budgets and upgrades I:
Seriously though, tis a good site and plenty of useful info to be gleaned, get a copy of VCDS and a cheap laptop, the best tool for a T4 owner...Gaz will tell you that T:
Best way to search is Google vwt4 and your problem/question and it'll point you in the right direction A:
Niggles... first thing to check is the cam belt/waterpump, if it's not been done in a while or you're uncertain then get it changed pronto.
Pictures please A:
All the best
'way too many 5's on here with their seemingly bottomless budgets and upgrades' ;)

If I wasn't self employed and instead on the books, there is no way in hell my T5's issues would have been fixed, it would have been sat on the drive and eventually sold at a massive loss. What I've learnt though, from here, and other forums is how to fix the damn thing. Also these companies converting vans are making a killing, was quoted £2700 plus vat to soundproof and carpet the rear, not including the floor, where the hell are these people coming from to pay that?

Anyway, I digress... It's now a hobby and that makes it easier for me to justify, if it was a work van I'd be bankrupt by now.

Enjoy the ride, it's like having a hot looking partner who is an absolute nightmare, but great in bed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Ben
Pictures please A:
All the best
Thanks all for the replies and a warm welcome!
I am told by the history she's had a belt and pump circa 25k ago which is cool for the moment. I am an avid VCDS user what with owning other VW's and Audis (not sure if i'm allowed to say that word on here)
I have been driving to and from work now trying to unleash some issues which has paid off! I have found that the gearbox has not only a temermentally noisy lay shaft, but clunks when changing gear. I originally thought this was a simple mount......but now not so sure. However, still to be investigated.
Unfortunately there has been a lot of bad retrofitting resulting in some shoddy wiring, one example being, I went to wash the windscreen and 'pop' there goes the wiper fuse! good job I had my fix the world box on board!
Anyway, I will continue with my investigations along with growing ever fonder of this classic beast! Love it!
Cheers for now

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Good luck with resolving the niggles, sounds like you're all geared up. Plus you're in the perfect location for some seaside travels T:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I decided to go for it and rip the box out.
Luckily the box needed a few bearings and a couple synchros plus the Dual mass was screwed. Got all the bits sorted now and just need to get it back together. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
So I decided to go for it and rip the box out.
Luckily the box needed a few bearings and a couple synchros plus the Dual mass was screwed. Got all the bits sorted now and just need to get it back together. Can't wait!!
Well done that man ! A:

Its a tad cold for grovelling around underneath this time of year , soon be time to start on the nice inside stuff T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts